Sundown Audio

Running your subs on more then rated power

KillerKeller40

i ran 2 hdc3 12s old ones on 2x 2200 strapped 1 ohm. turned all the way up always for 1.5 years and they where still kinda working lol. so what they got Little hot and stinky. i just turned them down every time they felt hot or got smelly then back up as soon as i forgot why they where off.

I have a pair of HDS315s on an FSD FZ5000D running at .5 ohms. I will let you know what it does after I get a few batteries in the back.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Box rise my friend.

I would assume you are seeing way less than 2000 watts personally.

I was trying to be a little optimistic lol If he rose to 2 omh he would be seeing considerably less than 2k

In my opinion a 2x rise on a ported box isn't past the realms of possibility. Actually quite possible.

1349713160_rte.png

There many dyno videos and like most amps TS sends a test page of what they got on that amp at what voltage. And yes the amp is rated 2.8k on your typical 12.8-13.3 electrical system but like I said at 14.4v it will do easy 3500 @ 1ohm

The only way to know for sure what your woofer will see is the clamp it ;-) Your electrical needs to be adequate for the amp to actually make the said power output. Like the others already said, many variables exist. Type of music, is the signal clipped or not, how long are you playing the music at any given time, etc etc etc....

I've ran many many speakers with way more 'intended power' than the RMS rating of the speaker, and never have problems. And yes, if you push the speaker to it's limits often, it will wear out faster.

If you have quality soft parts, other than break in early on, as long as it is kept within its limits, it shouldnt ever "wear out".

Ever? Wow

There many dyno videos and like most amps TS sends a test page of what they got on that amp at what voltage. And yes the amp is rated 2.8k on your typical 12.8-13.3 electrical system but like I said at 14.4v it will do easy 3500 @ 1ohm

The only way to know for sure what your woofer will see is the clamp it ;-) Your electrical needs to be adequate for the amp to actually make the said power output. Like the others already said, many variables exist. Type of music, is the signal clipped or not, how long are you playing the music at any given time, etc etc etc....

I've ran many many speakers with way more 'intended power' than the RMS rating of the speaker, and never have problems. And yes, if you push the speaker to it's limits often, it will wear out faster.

If you have quality soft parts, other than break in early on, as long as it is kept within its limits, it shouldnt ever "wear out".

Ever? Wowa

Hes right . . Iv ran subs that are around 15 20 years old and were still fine

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

great thread guys...

gains properly set, adequate electrical, enclosure size, box rise, mechanical limits, even the music chosen......their really is a lot of factors that go in to the amount of clean power a subwoofer can receive. clamping is the only real world way of knowing I suppose.

B)

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

great thread guys...

gains properly set, adequate electrical, enclosure size, box rise, mechanical limits, even the music chosen......their really is a lot of factors that go in to the amount of clean power a subwoofer can receive. clamping is the only real world way of knowing I suppose.

B)

You gonna clamp every song you play ?

I run therotically over 3k to a 2500 watt sub, never gets smelly, I run out of soft parts though. When I ran the SA's I would run out of coil before soft parts.

Archived