Second Skin Audio

Best Way to Break in a DC Lv6

Wasteland_Audio

First you need to get your box right, if your too big and pushing too much power = a bad time..

Break in is VERY touchy subject.. half the people would say just romp on it straight out of the box.. other half would say play the sub @ "half power" for a week.. i would say tune your amp(s) to 0dB with your DD-1 and play for an hour and listen/smell how the subs play. Then if you feel comfortable with how they smell/sound tune -2.5 or -5 and hit em hard !

Depending of how much your over powering your sub, may play a factor in how much -dB you wanna tune the amp.

I buy JL subs play them hard out of the gate and would return for a new one on warranty if it can't handle it. Never had one blow with a good clean signal. With JL audio's warranty I would rather blow it up right away if it is going to. If your subs have a good warranty I say play them hard!

The DD-1 is just a reference. Different songs can be recorded at different levels. The Audiopipe amps are not known to be the cleanest power. When an amp is set up with the DD-1 it can behave differently when a load is hooked up. Things like available power from the electrical system, the configuration of the load hooked to the amp, and even the ability of the power supply inside the amp to maintain rail voltage are all factors when playing loud.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ok well i'm gonna give DC a call on Monday and see if anything can be done. This is the 3rd sub I've had problems with so maybe it's just bad luck (UPS destroyed the first one, the second was the wrong ohm, and now this). Nothing against DC, they make a solid product as the other sub has been playing strong since day 1. I'll also be redesigning my wall to drop it down to around 12 cubes and bring the tuning up to 30hz.

+1 for box being too big. I'd suggest 11 cubes tuned at 36hz. I had my m3 lvl 6 18 in 6 cubes (m3s were 6ft3 recommended) on a kicker warhorse (about half power) and it would do full tilt down to around 25hz with no issues.

Also +1 on clipping being the cause of the burnt leads. I had the same issue when I was running audiopipe amps on my level 5 m1. Tuned with a dd1 on -5. Burnt up leads 3 different times, twice with an ap30001d and once with 2 apsm2000s strapped.

I'm not knocking audiopipe, they have their place, but you have to be extremely careful running full tilt for music from my experience.

Good luck!

Not sure if that box is actually too big... Their site recommends 5.5FT³ but they don't clarify if that's net or gross... I would assume net. The OP is probably talking box size in gross. I would probably try contacting DC and see what they recommend for tuning.

Archived