Second Skin Audio

An experiment in box materials

Truth, which is why I mentioned burp SPL. I figure it would sound like sh*t for music, but for a particular frequency, could get LOUD.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I'm more attuned towards the latter group.

I want to hear what was recorded, not what I create from a recording.

Same reason I don't like the idea of tube amps for replicating recordings. If you are playing live, I could understand the want to have either an amp or enclosure with a specific sound signature, but I personally wouldn't want to play something different than what the artist wanted me to hear.

That's right I also play sheet music as written.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I'd like to see a strength test with multiple layers involved when it comes to stiffness....since most usually double up or even triple up on the layers...I.e are 2 mdf layers or 2 China ply as strong as single Baltic?

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I'd like to see a strength test with multiple layers involved when it comes to stiffness....since most usually double up or even triple up on the layers...I.e are 2 mdf layers or 2 China ply as strong as single Baltic?

Good question, I'll ask it slightly differently: is the relationship for deflection linear for multiple sheets? If so, it could make 'rules of thumb' quite easy... such as "4 layers of X are equal in rigidity to 3 layers of Y". Or whatever. Then, a reference chart could be created that would make building heavyweight boxes easier.

I am very interested since I am building a wall Friday, or starting at least. I dont actually know how many layers of BB I need, so I'm gonna build a shell and add inner panels as necessary.

We're hungry for more data Triticum!

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Good question, I'll ask it slightly differently: is the relationship for deflection linear for multiple sheets? If so, it could make 'rules of thumb' quite easy... such as "4 layers of X are equal in rigidity to 3 layers of Y". Or whatever. Then, a reference chart could be created that would make building heavyweight boxes easier.....

I'm going to answer both you guys at once.

A double thickness panel, if properly glued together, is way, WAY stiffer than single thickness panel. However, a single thickness panel with proper bracing is significantly stiffer than a double thickness panel. My post on bracing is coming, I've got all the data, I just need to organize my thoughts and write it out. I'll start on it tonight and probably post it tomorrow when I get it done.

Also I wanted to address something with this experiment. My goal was not to get everyone to use baltic birch or to get people to stop using MDF. The only time I use baltic birch is under some very specific circumstances and it doesn't happen very often. When it comes to subwoofer boxes I mostly use Arauco plywood or if I can't get that I'll use the Chinese pine. My goal with this thread was to get folks thinking about the materials they use, what their differences are, and what it takes to build a strong enclosure. Baltic birch is wonderful, it very stiff, very strong, looks good and is very nice to work with, but its heavy and quite expensive. MDF is pretty much the complete opposite, but it has its things it does well too and very good enclosures can be (and certainly have been) built out of it. It just needs to be approached differently.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I guess the only way to know is that someone makes an serious testing about those the materials using clamped power, spl, box for lows, box for spl, etc etc, i would definitely love to test that myself as i always test everything i can, but i´m a father now and don´t have the time to fool around on this matter.

All i know is, many times i´ve gotten better results having a little bit of flex on my boxes believe it or not, resonance maybe? who knows...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

There's a company that makes speakers with tuned strings on the sides of the cabinet. I can't for the life of me find them, but I think their claim was something about the resonances creating the under/overtones of live performances...

Doesn't make any sense to me why that would ever be a good idea when you're trying to accurately reproduce a recording.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

There's a company that makes speakers with tuned strings on the sides of the cabinet. I can't for the life of me find them, but I think their claim was something about the resonances creating the under/overtones of live performances...

Doesn't make any sense to me why that would ever be a good idea when you're trying to accurately reproduce a recording.

The undertones are the same aspect that Bösendorfer uses in their 225 and 290 imperial grand pianos by adding more keys in the lower resister up to 9 more keys in the 290. They build off the idea that a dark undertone is appealing and makes and overall richer tone.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The undertones are the same aspect that Bösendorfer uses in their 225 and 290 imperial grand pianos by adding more keys in the lower resister up to 9 more keys in the 290. They build off the idea that a dark undertone is appealing and makes and overall richer tone.

Yeah but that's the whole point of musical instruments, it makes perfect sense there. It allows the musicians to chose what sound they want for their music.

Expensive audio gear is meant to be accurate, which it can't be if you have half a harp strapped to the sides of your speakers.

The concept might work on very specific genres and give a pleasing sound, but it still doesn't make it accurate.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Expensive audio gear is meant to be accurate, which it can't be if you have half a harp strapped to the sides of your speakers.

That's a pretty generalized statement. It's like saying expensive cars are meant to be fast.

The intent, design, and material used decide what the equipment is capable of doing has nothing to do with cost. Everything has its own design criteria and tries to accomplish different things.

Archived