miniDSP 2×4 Used for Subwoofer Processing

I ordered my miniDSP 2x4 with UMIK-1 yesterday. Should be here by Thursday. I also opted for the 5v PSU to be shipped with it. I'll be buying the 4way pluggin for the miniDSP. This is being used for processing my subwoofer outputs. I'll be running 1 LFE output from my Sony receiver (can't remember the exact model at this time) to the mini 2x4 which will output to my Beringer NU3000 and to a powered 10" sub that came with my monoprice 5.1 speaker setup (again, model number is not on hand at the moment). The NU3000 has a single 12" subwoofer in a ported box tuned to 26Hz connected to it in bridged mode at 4 ohms. I'm hoping to help smooth out the frequency response of the subs and have the smaller sub take care of the higher end of the bass while the 12 takes care of the low end. The peaks of the subs and the room gain on certain frequencies is very noticeable so hopefully I can flatten that all out to the best of my ability. Hopefully I'll learn something along the way and be able to further refine the output for better integration with the rest of the system. I'm making this thread just to show what I'm doing and how it's working out for me should someone else want to do something similar. When I get home I can post the model numbers of the items listed in the post.

I got both items in today! So far so good. I love this thing! It took me a hot second to figure out how to use REW but i've got it down now (at least the parts i've been using). I was able to EQ my bigger sub to pretty close to flat but I haven't messed with the smaller sub due to not having enough RCA's. I'm hoping I can get both responses even flatter once they're handling a smaller frequency range (right now the bigger sub is going from 0~150 due to it being the only one). One thing I was concerned about was that my output seemed REALLY shot. Like, the difference from using the mini to going straight from the receiver was 0 lights at full volume to 2 lights at full volume (full volume for an even reference was receiver at 20 and amp turned all the way up) which, considering there are four lights to show the amount of power being outputted, is a pretty big deal. Went from subtle bass to shaking the doors of my neighbors 5 doors down (no exaggeration). This really worried me seeing as the main benefit of my bigger sub is it's output and especially the output down low which was pretty much non existent. That got me to thinking about what could be wrong. I determined that my jumpers where on the wrong setting. My receiver's spec sheet said 2 v but that must have meant 2 v MAX. So, I googled the owner's manual for the miniDSP 2x4 (it did not come with one for some reason but came with the manual for a completely unrelated product) and in it was the instructions on how to change the jumper. So I switched it to the .9 v setting and so far so good. I was not able to really test it seeing as I had to get to the office to work but I will once I get back to my room but from what I could hear it was considerably louder at lower volumes. One thing to note is that the DSP at .9 V setting can handle up to 1.8V before saturation occurs (up to 4 V on the 2 V setting). One of these days i'll get a multimeter to test out my LFE output and see what the voltage looks like at different levels plus hopefully a DD-1 one of these days to test for distortion at different levels on the receiver. If anyone wants to donate to the broke (now even more broke after buying these items) college student in need of tools help fund, please feel free lol

Glad you hear you got the input voltage stuff sorted out and you like the MiniDSP. They are pretty awesome!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Glad you hear you got the input voltage stuff sorted out and you like the MiniDSP. They are pretty awesome!

It's actually pretty easy to use especially with REW. I can't wait to get my other sub up and running so I can add it in. What would you say would be the easiest way to do that? I was thinking of flattening out the response of the little sub individually like I did with the big one. Then running a sweep of the entire range and flattening out that response by EQing the input signal

This thread describes how to do subwoofer optimization with DSP better than I ever could: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1713458-mtg90a-s-multiple-subwoofers-mains-integration-how-thread.html

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived