Second Skin Audio

subwoofer enclosures

frogcase2002

Does anyone know prices that shops charge for different enclosures . .

Opened up a shop with a friend and trying to figure how much to charge for enclosures . . Been building them for years but hardly making anything just building them on the side

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I would start by figuring out the price of all the materials used in making the box. Then figure out how much to charge in labor probably by the hour which might include designing if it is a complicated design. You could figure out some basic designs that you would like to do and how long it would take to make them and have some preset prices for generic designs. Of course i've never owned a shop of my own so there very well could be a better way of doing this.

I would figure it out that way but every enclosure I take different amounts of time to build . Sometimes take my time and sometimes dont . . Just trying to figure out what other shops charge so I can charge a little less lol . .

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

Well I can tell you how I approach pricing. There are three input costs you have to consider; materials, time, and overhead (wear on tools, electricity, shop space costs, etc).

I calculate the price off three attributes of the box; the external dimensions of the box (to cover materials), the number of panels (to cover time mostly, more panels = more cuts = more time) and the number of subs (cutting holes takes time, and wear on tools). This gives a basic cost of construction, from there I add to it based on what kind of finish and options the customers wants. Things like kerfed panels have a fixed cost per panel associated with them, other things like finish types (carpet, Duratex, etc) have a fixed cost plus a variable cost based on the size of the box.

My system isn't perfect, and I keep making tweaks and adjustments, but so far its working well for me.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I second Triticum. This system is fairly accurate and keeps things fair for you and the customer. I use a slightly simpler method. Cost of materials + 25% (to cover tool wear) with a $65/hr shop fee, and when my local shop calls me in to build a box for one of their customers I charge $80/hr and keep 50% of the total cost. For walls and other big builds we'll drop the hourly accordingly.

I would figure it out that way but every enclosure I take different amounts of time to build . Sometimes take my time and sometimes dont . . Just trying to figure out what other shops charge so I can charge a little less lol . .

the customer should not have to pay for you taking your time. Why not go to other shops in your area and see what they charge to build a box?

the customer should not have to pay for you taking your time. Why not go to other shops in your area and see what they charge to build a box?

I know. Thats why I said I couldnt figure it out that way. By hour. . . . Didnt really want to go to a shop and ask them prices on all different size enclosures. Seems wierd . . And most around me dont build custom enclosure

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I think the Wasteland figures his sounds good. you just have to figure out how long it is going to take to make boxes. i would think a simple slot ported box for a single woofer would take te same amount of time weather it is for a 10,12 or 15. material cost would change due to box size. the same for a slot ported box for 2 subs. Then when you do real custom work with trim panels and kerfs etc. you will just have to add time for that. in the beginning i would think its a bit of a guessing game until you get some experience and find short cuts to doing things.

Got alot of experience and do kerfs and everything but iv just done it as side work and usually just made like 50-60 profit on enclosures

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

Got alot of experience and do kerfs and everything but iv just done it as side work and usually just made like 50-60 profit on enclosures

50-60 profit on enclosures is dirt.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived