Second Skin Audio

Peel and seal was the stupidest f**king thing I've ever done

Like the title says , the fucking stupidest thing I've done to date .

I got a few rolls a few years ago for free, and it looked enough like dynamat so I cleaned the doors ,and rolled it on 3 layers thick . It did sound better , but after this hot ass summer; my windows wouldnt roll down, locks quit working ect. So I'm in the process of a significant system upgrade , and I knew that I needed to re do my doors . What a fucking nightare . I've been at one door for almost 5 hrs and have be barely gotten the shit off the outer shell . The stuff on the outer skin is still there. Black fingers , a pile of ruined shop rags,and a whole roll of blue shop towels soaked in paint thinner. Once I get all the bullshit off , I'll be putting the door kit I got fri from second skin . We all gotta start somewhere . We don't all have to start where I did . Do Not Use Peel and Seal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It prolly sucks for what it's made for too.

Second time is a charm !

• Like (+1 Rep) 5

Funny thing is almost everyone on this forum warns people to NOT USE ASPHALT BASED DEADENERS OR ROOFING PRODUCTS on their car, but people do anyways because it is soooooooooo much cheaper and looks the same. These kind of threads pop up just as much as the ebay alternator topics...

So now instead of buying a quality product your stuck doing the job that you already did a second time but first your stuck cleaning up the mess of the old "deadener".

Cant say I feel sorry for ya, a quick google search would of saved you a lot of time and pain before you even attempted to use roofing products in your car.

So all I can do is laugh!

Enjoy :rofl::yahoo::P

• Like (+1 Rep) 6

its k to use on the bed of the car n trunk but i wouldnt use it for the doors...to many horror stories

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

USX65KV1 w/ parallel bridged mosfets 2200rms @ 1ohm @13v powering 1 Orion hcca122

Taramp HD2500 for mid range

4xPioneer 6x9's 2x 1" Pioneer tweets

Funny thing is almost everyone on this forum warns people to NOT USE ASPHALT BASED DEADENERS OR ROOFING PRODUCTS on their car, but people do anyways because it is soooooooooo much cheaper and looks the same. These kind of threads pop up just as much as the ebay alternator topics...

So now instead of buying a quality product your stuck doing the job that you already did a second time but first your stuck cleaning up the mess of the old "deadener".

Cant say I feel sorry for ya, a quick google search would of saved you a lot of time and pain before you even attempted to use roofing products in your car.

I knew better ..... good thing is I like a challenge, and getting this mess off is challenging fo sho. The other thing that's good is I didn't go buck wild on the rest of the truck . It's ok ... I got the good shit now. Edited by Cwallaker
  • Like (+1 Rep) 3

Best time of year to remove that shit is in winter when the temps drop enough to cause it to harden to the point where it comes off in sheets instead of some gooey ass mess, and when it is hot it is an insane nightmare sticking to anything and everything and coating you in a black sticky mess. Once you get the bulk off, just resort to acetone to begin the cleanup of the residue that is stuck to everything.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Best time of year to remove that shit is in winter when the temps drop enough to cause it to harden to the point where it comes off in sheets instead of some gooey ass mess, and when it is hot it is an insane nightmare sticking to anything and everything and coating you in a black sticky mess. Once you get the bulk off, just resort to acetone to begin the cleanup of the residue that is stuck to everything.

Actually I thought the same thing , but I wound up using a heat gun . I heated it until it was a stinky gooey mess, then I used a ball of it to pick it off . Then I wiped the residue off with paint thinner . I'll prolly go over it again with acetone with clean rags . I'll have to look and see what the recomended surface prep for the second skin door kit .

Edited by Cwallaker

its k to use on the bed of the car n trunk but i wouldnt use it for the doors...to many horror stories

At this point I wouldn't use it to line a dumpster . It shrunk, melted ,fell off , and then the few places it stuck it really fucking stuck .
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1