Second Skin Audio

Peel and seal was the stupidest f**king thing I've ever done

hispls,

Are you talking about Alpha Damp Tiles? Those haven't been manufactured since the new owner took over in 2010, so that would be on ANT and his crazy experiment with selling "SPL Tiles", a line of product Ken never took over (Just tried to help Ant market them) when acquiring the business just like Damplifier Lite which we decided were not of high enough quality to continue producing under the new owner. We've seen people selling Alpha Damp SPL Tiles all over the Internet up to last year 2015 (which means they have sat around since being manufactured in July 2010) well past there shelf life of being considered a sellable product. All of our current day (within the last 6 years) butyl products are manufactured fresh and steadily, instead of sitting around on shelves for months/years. Most times boxes don't stay here longer then 2 months. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate hearing about any experience weither it be bad or good, there is no way to grow as a company if you can't accept problems that occur. And we pride our self in customer satisfaction, if you ever need to talk to us about a product issue hit us up ASAP please.

Damplifier Pro is pretty unmistakeable name and I got them not long after the industry first started doing the 80mil thickness IIRC. I could probably find the thread with enough digging but I've got a good 50 trades between 3 different boards and it was probably 5 years ago now.

Like I said, they were a throw-in with a trade to even out a value so as you say I don't know how long the other guy had them sitting or where and I never really bothered to complain to anybody since I didn't really care one way or another. They were really thick (the aluminum and the butyl) and heavy just didn't stay stuck to my roof and liftgate.

I always thought Ant was kind of a douche so I never bought anything he sold and quit being active on CACO when he took over and made it pay-per-view.

I restate, if that was the norm for your products I'm sure you wouldn't still be in business so I've chalked it up to user error. Perhaps it as too cold when I tried to put them on, I didn't clean off the metal properly, or just didn't put enough oomph behind rubbing them on. Whatever it is it's good to see you active on forums and I get the vibe that if I bought new product from you that you'd take care of something like this.

I definitely didn't want to cause trouble but it is interesting to note that it is best applied "fresh".

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

No problem sir, and no trouble caused. We appreciate your words.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

I have ran into vehicles already where no matter what you use to clean and prep the spot for deadener it wont stick. I seem to come across it in Dodge/Chrysler vehicles on the floor boards rather often. Its also a weird texture as well.

I have tried a few brands that I had on hand and none of them stuck decent. Not even gorilla tape wouldnt stick.

I get emails all the time saying I have a new private message on there, and everytime I look its just ant trying to sell me some oatmeal it seems, or another admin telling me about how great this deal is to pass up.

Its just a massive marketing spam the users forum there and same with the other sites he bought out.

Im so glad we dont and will never do the massive private message/email sales pitch here, nor sell out our users emails..

TsgrvV.jpg

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Just a little background info I found. I did a little digging (As I wasn't around back in 2009-2010 so I don't know the full details) but it seems SPL Tiles were a new product ANT brought out with thicker foil and are what later became Alpha Damp after he sold the company to Ken. You can see from the specs below it is not and was not Damplifier Pro but I don't know it's full composition of materials but it has the same exact specs of what he later turned into Alpha Damp (and failed). It looks to me as if it was an attempt at a thicker product with a lower price point, but didn't fair very well and was short lived. And seeings how the butyl on Damplifier and Damplifier Pro have very few cases of issues, I would have to assume something was different in the formula of the SPL tiles. Rest assured, today's Second Skin owner does not play around with any new formulas or mixes as we stay tried and true to the formula of Damplifier butyl that has worked for 17 years strong :good:

IMG_0031.jpg

Here are the specs I found on this very forum:

"Damplifier Pro and the SPL tiles are the same exact thickness.
The difference is the foil
The foil looks like this:

Damplifier Pro - 6.5 mils - Black
SPL Tiles - 10 mils - Silver

Both products are 2mm thick (80 mils)

I will have some pics soon

Hope that helps!

ANT "

And this is what he had to say about the new product at the time:

"Second Skin SPL Tiles

Adhesive = Viscoelastic butyl rubber - 99.94% solids content

Weight = .79 lbs per sq. foot

Foil thickness = 10 mils (10/1000")

Total thickness = 80 mils (80/1000" - 2mm)

Sheet Size = 6" x 10" (.41 sq. ft. ea.)

ANT"

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Just a little background info I found. I did a little digging (As I wasn't around back in 2009-2010 so I don't know the full details) but it seems SPL Tiles were a new product ANT brought out with thicker foil and are what later became Alpha Damp after he sold the company to Ken. You can see from the specs below it is not and was not Damplifier Pro but I don't know it's full composition of materials but it has the same exact specs of what he later turned into Alpha Damp (and failed). It looks to me as if it was an attempt at a thicker product with a lower price point, but didn't fair very well and was short lived. And seeings how the butyl on Damplifier and Damplifier Pro have very few cases of issues, I would have to assume something was different in the formula of the SPL tiles. Rest assured, today's Second Skin owner does not play around with any new formulas or mixes as we stay tried and true to the formula of Damplifier butyl that has worked for 17 years strong :good:

IMG_0031.jpg

Here are the specs I found on this very forum:

"Damplifier Pro and the SPL tiles are the same exact thickness.

The difference is the foil

The foil looks like this:

Damplifier Pro - 6.5 mils - Black

SPL Tiles - 10 mils - Silver

Both products are 2mm thick (80 mils)

I will have some pics soon

Hope that helps!

ANT "

And this is what he had to say about the new product at the time:

"Second Skin SPL Tiles

Adhesive = Viscoelastic butyl rubber - 99.94% solids content

Weight = .79 lbs per sq. foot

Foil thickness = 10 mils (10/1000")

Total thickness = 80 mils (80/1000" - 2mm)

Sheet Size = 6" x 10" (.41 sq. ft. ea.)

ANT"

Those rectangular critters in the center of that picture definitely look like what failed me. Aluminum felt super thick and perhaps just ANT lumping it in with our name made the fella I bought it from represent it as yours. Mystery solved I guess.

The takeaway here is to buy real deadener brand new from the manufacturer or authorized vendor or you roll the dice on results.

Edited by hispls
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

So here's a link to some photos in no particular order of the mess from the peel & seal , and my componet upgrades . I also included a pic or two of my instalation of second skin damplifier, and luxury liner . Not a single scrap went to waste . Every cut off piece of damplifier was heated ,and rolled on the back side of the panel surrounding the driver . The door kit had enough luxury liner to line the inside of the door from the beam down . In addition to the damplifier /ll combo , I added a entire pack of Q-pads heated &rolled of course .

https://goo.gl/photos/Anr9W4ChqNosr8Qj7

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

I am getting ready to re do my doors too. Second skin for the win. Those tweeter brackets look interesting. How do they mount?

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I am getting ready to re do my doors too. Second skin for the win. Those tweeter brackets look interesting. How do they mount?

Those are riveted to the pillar moulding then screwed to the pillar. They are temp to see if I like the placement ,and sound . If it works out I'll glass them in . Also those are the Dayton audio reference 4 ohm tweeters . Outta $$$ for the matching hertz ones. These are supposed to be able to be crossed as low as 1000hz ,and handle 100 watts . So the p300x 2 is for them , and the p1000x2 is for the millies
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Like the title says , the fucking stupidest thing I've done to date .

I got a few rolls a few years ago for free, and it looked enough like dynamat so I cleaned the doors ,and rolled it on 3 layers thick . It did sound better , but after this hot ass summer; my windows wouldnt roll down, locks quit working ect. So I'm in the process of a significant system upgrade , and I knew that I needed to re do my doors . What a fucking nightare . I've been at one door for almost 5 hrs and have be barely gotten the shit off the outer shell . The stuff on the outer skin is still there. Black fingers , a pile of ruined shop rags,and a whole roll of blue shop towels soaked in paint thinner. Once I get all the bullshit off , I'll be putting the door kit I got fri from second skin . We all gotta start somewhere . We don't all have to start where I did . Do Not Use Peel and Seal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It prolly sucks for what it's made for too.

Second time is a charm !

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but like you said challenge accepted and time to get done right this time. We would love to have the images involved with your pains (not to laugh but to help educate more installers for the future). If you would like to share them we would use them on our Social media pages to help others not do this too. We would of course crop out any part of the photo identifying you if you want us to. You can send them to us at [email protected] we would love to share them. If you have any questions or concerns with your re-build please do not hesitate to contact us as we will help you through any sound deadening questions you may have, either by email or phone at 1-800-679-8511.

Good Luck with your re-build and have some fun when you get past all the sticky/yucky part. Thanks for choosing Second Skin Damplifier Pro for your new install, we apprecaite our customers and are thankful for your support of our high quality American made products.

Second Skin For The Win!!!

Just a single layer of damplifier , and luxury liner is far and above what 3 layers on the inside ,and outside of my door with p&s was. The door kit had more than enough to do my silverado doors . I can't belive the difference in the two.

I'll be buying more to do the roof , back panel , and floor !

Second Skin for the win!!!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1