Second Skin Audio

Switched subs same box volume/tuning and sound way different spl

BMS

I will explain everything in detail but first a brief overview of the problem (I really appreciate your time to read it) so basically I switched out a 250 watt sub for a 2000 watt and it wasn't as loud. So first off i had two identical boxes made of 1/2 plywood It is a fisher loudspeaker box from the 70's 3.7 cub feet (no sub) 12 sq inch of port (yes i know there should be much more) tuned to 43 hz (yes i know this is a bad tuning frequency for a daily setup). so first i throw a kicker comp 15'' in the box rated 250 watts rms 8 ohm. it displaces .08 cubic feet. Then i through an re audio xxx 15" rated 2000 watts rms in the same box. It is inverted and the coils are in series for a 4 ohm load. and it really wasn't as loud it seemed to play lower even tough there was more box space so technically the tuning freq got a little higher. Now i have 4 ports it actually seemed to get a little louder if i blocked 1 port but not if i block 2. It is the same amplifier 4 ohm stable 1200 watt rms the same wire the same input and the same settings on the amplifier. So now i will give a few reasons i think may be the reason. I think the box is just glued at the seems (no screws) so maybe i literally ripped it apart form the seems because there is quite a bit of box flex so maybe it is flexing at the seems and leaking air or i did kinda beat it up trying to move it with a 100 lbs subwoofer in it. I didn't screw it down super tight but i fear if i got any tighter id strip the wood. Also i had to cut the hole bigger because the cutout diameter diameter was different any way it wasn't guided so maybe i got close to the edge of the basket and it's leaking or maybe when i placed it i was off center because it is inverted so one side is close to the edge of the basket although i would think the gasket would take care of the problem. those are my ideas.

probably bc the box specs may have been closer to the required specs of the kicker than the required specs of the XXX. You're probably choking the sub down, and the amount of box flex is probably ridiculous and not helping at all. With the proper box, amp, and electrical, the XXX will blow the kicker out of the water.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Yeah I know i figured it out why if i look closely i can see the seems of the box open. It is actually partial board that's what i meant to say and now it is all over the inside of my car it literally ripped the box from the seams and caused the wood to disintegrate.

• 3 months later...

Archived