Sundown Audio

Not Your Grandfather's Ohm Load...

Charles Phillips

Strangeduck, ill assume you don't know what you're talking about since you didn't help answer the question at all. No need for negativity.

just dont end up with negative ohms, wouldnt want you to get feedback

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hes talking about running more runs of speaker wire between he two coils terminals. lmao

Yes, that's the reason he started this thread. However, he stated that a coil is just a wire, which isn't completely true

A coil is just a wire, so I wouldn't think there would be a difference. Am I missing something?

Holy fuck. Did no one else notice that this goof ball is planning to run 7k, and is asking these kinds of questions? This is gold.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

You are too worried about the size wire running to your coils, it doesn't matter if you have the biggest damn wire they make, then double it, without different properties inside the coil (which you would have to do to get to your desired .5 ohm load). You cannot lower the resistance of a single coil. Think of it like a water hose, if you have a fire hose hooked up then the last 10 feet you hooked up a regular garden hose. You won't get any more water just because of whats behind the garden hose, it is still getting restricted by the end of the hose, or circuit in electronics. The only thing you could do is minimize added resistance which you don't need to worry about because the resistance is negligible. I figure you should be able to figure out the water hose reference with your water cooling and such.

Silverado

Mechman 240

Big 3

2 SA-12's

Rf speakers

Pioneer x8700

Coming Soon

Symphony or SAE1500

SAE 50.4

D3400

Holy fuck. Did no one else notice that this goof ball is planning to run 7k, and is asking these kinds of questions? This is gold.

Yes, I'm the goofball who's planning to run 7k. If it's gold, you better be on my build log when it comes out : p. I'll check out your SOTM, I'm sure it'll shed some light.

Okay, I checked it out and it's basically the same process I'm using, with some obvious differences because you did a box build. Very nice.

- 2009 Toyota Matrix Base -

- iPad 64GB -

- miniDSP 2x4 HD -

- PPI Art a200.2 -

- SoundQubed SQ-2200.2 x 2 -

If you don't know how to calculate series and parallel resistance (your original question), I'm not sure you plan to run a multiple sub setup or figure out approx how much reserve and charging you need.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

If you don't know how to calculate series and parallel resistance (your original question), I'm not sure you plan to run a multiple sub setup or figure out approx how much reserve and charging you need.

I do know how to calculate it, I just had an idea and threw it out without doing any prior research except for a quick search. This is not my first build. I've done 2 other previous ones with about the same amount of power, but different numbers of subs and amps. I also build home audio systems from the ground up, so have some faith!

- 2009 Toyota Matrix Base -

- iPad 64GB -

- miniDSP 2x4 HD -

- PPI Art a200.2 -

- SoundQubed SQ-2200.2 x 2 -

In for water cooling a 1.2k board. Stoked to see pics and write up on that.

It's actually 1.3k in the newest revision. I know it's not a ton of power, but I'm all about trying something new.

oh.. my bad. stoked to see pics and a write up. how soon?

Archived