[Final Update 6/6] 99 S-10 Blazer Build - Lots of setups

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So pretty interesting findings today.

I built this box with the intention of hair tricks and smashing lows, but it seems to have fallen really short lol. Even with the 2nd amplifier and wiring down, I'm only doing 142s @ 26hz, and like mid 145s @ 30hz

RwBPoZul.png

It also probably moves the least air of any of my setups in this vehicle so far. Tuned @ 34hz and 176 square inches of port, but doesn't move air. Not sure how that works.

Here's a little video where you can just barely see ripples in my jacket. You can see the subs flexxing pretty hard in the back though?

HOWEVER, this setup smashes 150 at every frequency from 42hz - 50hz lol. So we got that goal while dropping into 11V - 12V.

bI7hwaHl.png

It looks like 151s are in the future once I get this 2nd alternator in.

I'm still a little peeved about the lack of air though. I tried a shirt trick and hair trick today, on the same songs I always use, and both failed miserably.

It may be rebuild time again soon heh

Those results are interesting. Sounds like the cabin gain is a big factor. It also seems that you might benefit from more alt or more battery or both to help keep the voltage up. The amps will need lots of current at .5 so it seems to me that if you were to put the sub amps on the right close to the batteries and turn them so the power terminals are close to the batteries to keep the runs as short as possible and maybe even use dual inputs on each one, you would be closer to giving the amps everything you have. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

1 minute ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Those results are interesting. Sounds like the cabin gain is a big factor. It also seems that you might benefit from more alt or more battery or both to help keep the voltage up. The amps will need lots of current at .5 so it seems to me that if you were to put the sub amps on the right close to the batteries and turn them so the power terminals are close to the batteries to keep the runs as short as possible and maybe even use dual inputs on each one, you would be closer to giving the amps everything you have. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work!

Yeah it wasn't at all what I was expecting, to say the least lol.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get the 2nd alternator on, plus charge my batteries (they haven't been charged in like 2 months) and see what happens ?

Thanks for the feedback and advice

So even though this setup is the loudest I've ever been, I'm about 95% sure I'll be switching the sub stage soon.

It's just pitiful on lows. I can't figure out if it's because the subs are still so stiff, there is just a huge difference between AQ and SQ C318s, my box has an issue, or what the deal is.

Some people have asked to see pictures from the front to see how the box looks sitting in the vehicle, so here's a video:

You can see there's still plenty of room to see out the back, and it all fits pretty nice and snug.

I think my next moves are 2nd alternator -> meter -> test my old 15s on the new power and with the meter -> probably sell everything and come up with a new plan.

I like how you can still see out the back! 

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

Keep yamming on the 18's to loosen them up and your low end will improve on them. Maybe not as much as the four 15's, but better than how they are now. 

36 minutes ago, reedal said:

Keep yamming on the 18's to loosen them up and your low end will improve on them. Maybe not as much as the four 15's, but better than how they are now. 

Yep that's the plan ?

I sure do love how these subs take the abuse lol. The other day I demo'd for damn near 2 hours straight and although it smelled like a forest fire in the vehicle, the subs are still pounding away and the amps didn't even get warm to the touch.

I'll get the 2nd alt in, run the setup a bit more, then decide if I want to swap to the 15s again, or build a different box for the 18

I like how you can still see out the back! 

Yep, it's nice. That was one thing I didn't like about the wall was the lack of visibility.

Still trying to decide what to do next on this build.

I traded my old AQ C318s + Box for a DD M4 (3.5kw @ 12V, 5kw @ 14.4v):

R2qLBYNl.jpg

My plan was to sell it, but maybe with the two 270a alts I'll actually be able to run it @ 0.5. Then I would just need a sub stage to handle it.

Some local guys have two SSA Evil 18s for $700, or two HDC418s for $700.

I also was very close to buying 4 HDC318s from a guy for $730 shipped. Started designing a huge 22 cube net box for them, but decided if I'm gonna lose my rear seats I'll just throw in the old 4th order since I really like how musical it is and how it performs.

I've been trying to find someone to glass my doors for extra highs/mids, or pick up Q-Logic Kick Panels or something.

Since I'm pretty bored, I decided to go meter in the kick to see what difference it makes:

J2bTprPl.png

Although I'm pretty sure nobody uses that style for competitions, it was nice to see such a high number lol

The SQ C318s officially have a new home as of last night ?

Today (weather permitting) I'll be retouching the paint on the 4 15s box, and then hopefully getting it loaded up and metered.

Maybe eventually I'll get that dang 2nd alternator in lol. I've had the alt and bracket for almost 2 months now...

Archived