700R4 Transmission Nightmare!

Trans shops only fix what is broken and whatever else that would cause it to fail under warranty. That's it nothing more.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I do my own too.

Pioneer 80PRS

https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/gm/700r4-transmission/level-3-700r4-raptor/

thats whats in my 85 monte carlo ss .. bought paid for and over with . i do do the "fix whats broken" thing . i may have more hp than him but the point is. its dione and over.. he maynot have the cash for that as a lot of us dont.. i just wanted it over and done with and didnt want trans issues.

if my ears dont buzz. you need more ..

My hat is off to you. Being a good neighbor is worth more than money in the long run. I have neighbors that are worth their weight in gold, and I'm the fix it man too. Kids grow up and move away. I hope. Lol

Pioneer 80PRS

The struggle is REAL.

The transmission is installed. After installing the transmission, we had to put in a new Felpro pan gasket. Well when we went to tighten the pan down, the last bolt just kept spinning! Looks like the threads were stripped. I accidentally torqued them down to 16 ft lbs instead of 9 lbs. My bad. Still not enough to strip threads. We both agreed I did not strip the threads since 2 were striped when doing the valve body. So I purchased a M8 Heli coil set. Now I have M6 and M8 kits $50. I'm keeping both so I'm not charging him even though he said he woudl pay for 1/2 of it. Why, I'm keeping the kit! I bought a new Felpro gasket because once you bolt the gasket down, it creates circular marks where it pushes into the case hoses. If re-used and it doesn't line up, it would not seal properly. $6.00 part. No big deal. (Keep reading)

So we fixed that.

Next the transfer case. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. 120 lbs of weirdly built metal. I was disappointed he did not clean the crime off of the case like I asked. I like all my parts clean and grease and grime free. We tried installing the case, greasy and all, but could not get it lined up with the special gasket I made him find. Solution, buy gasket adhesive to keep it vertically inplace as we slide the case onto the rear shaft. Easy right? We go to Advance Auto and the idiot behind the counter sold him "Copper Sealant"....."It has adhesive". Well it was the wrong stuff. I needed the red stuff I used on my Camaro valve heads. It ruined the gasket and we had to install the case using black RTV like we found it. lol.

I let him install the minor stuff. New Cooler lines and hardware $35. Starter, lower bell housing. All we needed to do was install the Y pipe exhaust, and the drive line and we were done. Than fill and run it through the gears. He asked me if it was ok to fill the trans. I told him "Sure, if you want". Well, there's a sequence on how to fill, run it through the gears, and fill, top off, etc. I told him there's a Youtube video and a write up on line on how to do the sequence. In his haste he did not look up either and filled the trans with 12 qts of ATF. WELL, seems me sprung a leak at the right side of the pan gasket. The sequence is 5 qts, and run it through the gears. Check and add, etc. Til the fluid is up to temp, wheels off the ground, tires spinning. I guess the pump needs to pump ATF into the body of hte transmission.

Guess, this site doesn't like long write ups, it keeps pausing.

So he admitted he did not look up the sequence. But it could not be run anyways because the Y pipe was not installed and the truck would be loud as hell turning the wheels. I feel like I'm at fault for not over seeing what he was doing. I made my own mistakes fixing things. Hind sight showing me the right way. Only difference is I have financial reserves where as he does not. payday for him is Friday. Parts are either purchased on Friday or the following monday. And for all of you guys that know me and the drama about College. You bet your ass I harped on it the entire time. He's starting College in Jan. That makes me happy! (Hello BigHossF150 if you're reading this)

We're going to have to replace the pan gasket again. Letting the fluid run out means he's out $35 worth of ATF. Luckily we purchased the fluid from Whatever it takes, which is ALOT cheaper than Advance Auto. The guy behind the counter @ W.I.T was cool with us and we both have accounts there without having to show a tax I.D. It would have cost him >$65.00 otherwise.

Tonight we installed the U-joints that I made him buy. Man the ones that were on the truck , they were SLOPPY. Glad we replaced them. Moog, discount $35. I told him he should replace the rear transfer case seal since we removed the shaft. Once a seal sits outside exposed to the elements, it may not hold a good seal like it did before the shaft was removed. You know he's hating me right now. lol. "mopre $$$" "Do it right the first time!". Guess I will have to supervise the remainder of the install!

We were THIS CLOSE to finishing. lol.

-Frank

All you can do is laugh. This is turning into a blog of sorts. Well, the U Joints were installed in vain. I let him install the drive shaft and something was not fitting right. Yeah, I'm shaking my head, too. We thought he was sold the wrong part. Well he sort of was and was not. ***"This is the reason I do not buy "Modified Vehicles" Boy do I sound like my ol'man right now. lol. Turns out, he has a high performance aluminum driveshaft. At one time his truck had a 383 stroker in it. One of the U joint sides measures 1 3/16", and the other part measures 1 1/8". Took me about alittle over a hour to keep narrowing down what all these measurements meant. The only 1 1/8" steel cups I could find were for Ford rear end yokes, as the GM U joint has 1 1/16". I could not figure out this U joint. "Welcome to the world of "Hybrid U Joints" or a "1344 to 1350 Conversion Joint". SMH. Basically I think it's a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to 1 ton conversion joint. At least I am learning as I go and this shit is interesting. The caps have size markings on them #3 and # 7. Interesting! Crossing my fingers that a local driveline shop has it ,or it will have to come from an On-line source. I found one in Fort Wayne. $35 + Shipping.

http://fortwayneclutch.com/product/1350-gm-3r-saginaw-universal-joint-1350-series-to-gm-saginaw-3r1344-cross-style-hybrid-universal-joint-skus-5-3162x/

https://goo.gl/images/xH6SCB

-Frank

"I do not buy modified vehicles" lol

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived