700R4 Transmission Nightmare!

Well we found out why the transmission was leaking. A faulty torque wrench is to blame. The screws that hold the clicker in the head of the wrench backed out. Found out when we attempted to install a new pan gasket. I was able to remove another holding screw from another torque wrench and we were back in business.

I found item # 2-1153 Neapco Hybrid U joint locally. $36.00.

Now everything is bolted up and more bad news, the trans only has 1st and reverse. There's a loud whine coming from the pump. Might be the rebuilt pump he purchased. We're throwing in the towel and taking it to a transmission shop to diagnose the problem. This is the liability I was referred to. lol. We tried adjusting the TV cable. Nope. We removed the governor, but that is only for high speed shifts at >6000 rpm, so that wasn't it.

I made a few offers.......

1. I offered to take it to the shop and diagnosis. They charge @ $200 for trans removal/install. I hope something like a dirty valve body is not sending debris into the new pump or a part in the pump was not installed correctly. I left him in charge of the pump and cleaning the valve body. He said the cleaned the VB with brake cleaner but did not disassemble the VB. The VB has just that. ALOT of moving tiny pistons "valves". If they diagnose debris in or coming from the VB, well then we will have to sit down and talk about who caused the damage. I did my part with surgical precision as far as cleanliness. Using gloves to touch parts as I went along. I'm A.R. about stuff like this.

2. I also offered to give him what he has into it thus far so I can wipe my hands clean of this problem. We're neighbors and this also what I was talking about- what I was trying to avoid. lol. He declined the offered at first thinking we can figure it out. I just don't want to rip out that trans again. Took a few hours.

It's all good. This problem will be resolved one way or another.

-Frank

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Update, my neighbor brought the valve body to a shop near the house. The TV cable plunger worked as it should but the valve that it pushes against did not move. On line most owners talk about slamming the pedal down to free up this valve. Seems to be a common problem. This valve is the bigger valve to increase pressure for a firmwr shift. He paid $128 to have the valve body cleaned, inspected, and rebuilt. Like I said..... i was not incharge of the valve body. We did alot of reading and it had to be the valve body. We will installing the rebuilt valve body tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

-Frank

THE TRANSMISSION IS FIXED. SHE IS ALIVE AND SHIFTING!!!!!!!! Guess it was the T.V. Valve. He still needs to adjust the TV Cable to get the perfect shift, but she is shifting into all the gears!!! I'm so relieved! Came out to roughly $1k including the valve body rebuild. Better than $2200 rebuild with "Parts that needed replacing were replaced.

We did:

1. New Rear output shaft

2. New Planetaries

3. New Reverse Input drum

4. New Sunshell

5. New Seals

6. New bearings

7. New Pump

8. New torque converter

9. Newer TCC solenoid

10. New frictions with proper clearances

If we didn't do most of this stuff, it would have been $400 tops.

Thanks guys for reading my long winded posts! It's the only way I could vent.

-Frank a.k.a Shade Tree Mechanic by day / ED Nurse by night

Archived