Sonic Electronix

Why does bass travel further outside some cars?

• 2 months later...

Well i think I've finally figured it out after extensive testing, I know most of you wont give a shit but someone out there will care about bass getting out of their car.. 

anyways, it's all in the dashboard. Shorter rounder dashboards make the bass sound smoother and also make it carry nice outside the car, cars with long dashboards generally keep all the sound in, you can make your own assumptions as to why this is the case  but it definetly made sense in my testing and it explains why cars like old ford explorers. Nissan maximas, blazers, and jeep cherokees get really loud easily

I had a 1983 Olds Cutlass that traveled well out side. Short dash makes me wonder.

Related image

How does the dash of a vehicle work inside a home theater? 

The shape of the dash has nothing to do with projecting sound outside.

Why does someones new system not sound as loud as your buddies POS $1k system that totally pisses you off cause you just dropped 3k and should be louder.

First, his system is tuned higher, and second, his system is broken in, there are variables that contribute to how loud and how far outside the sound will travel.

Sound projection is not always a good thing, cause it can cause police and thieves to target you.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

The only way to know for sure is to get one vehicle and have a removable dashboard. One big and one small. This way it narrows down to one variable dashboard.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Also tuning high makes it carry farther. Haven't you watched any of EXOs videos? Lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Two things to mention here 

1. The cabin of the vehicle acts like a box, absolutely. Your doors and windows are your ports. Obstructions kill spl. Simple as that. Some boxes may cause the entire vehicle to accidentally be a really useful bandpass. Therefore louder, louder travels farther

2. Low frequencies are louder farther away from the car than high frequencies at the same distance. This is because of the length of the wave. Fun physics. Learned this at Carl Casper in 2011 while Hank was testing his truck in drive by. Gained a couple dbs by moving from 6ft away to 9ft

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

On 1/7/2017 at 9:24 AM, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

The only way to know for sure is to get one vehicle and have a removable dashboard. One big and one small. This way it narrows down to one variable dashboard.

Yeah I know but I did the next best thing, same setup same subs same amp in 2 different cars and one car was much louder outside, you could hear everything from  26 hz to 60 , other car all you heard outside was 38 and above 

On 1/7/2017 at 11:18 AM, IH8PunkRok said:

Two things to mention here 

1. The cabin of the vehicle acts like a box, absolutely. Your doors and windows are your ports. Obstructions kill spl. Simple as that. Some boxes may cause the entire vehicle to accidentally be a really useful bandpass. Therefore louder, louder travels farther

2. Low frequencies are louder farther away from the car than high frequencies at the same distance. This is because of the length of the wave. Fun physics. Learned this at Carl Casper in 2011 while Hank was testing his truck in drive by. Gained a couple dbs by moving from 6ft away to 9ft

Drive by? Is that like park n pound? That's fascinating as shit honestly how moving farther gains db's. In all my experiences I've always felt like 42hz and above was super loud outside when you're close by like 50 feet away, lower frequencies were much louder super far away 

On 1/7/2017 at 6:32 AM, Skullz said:

How does the dash of a vehicle work inside a home theater? 

The shape of the dash has nothing to do with projecting sound outside.

Why does someones new system not sound as loud as your buddies POS $1k system that totally pisses you off cause you just dropped 3k and should be louder.

First, his system is tuned higher, and second, his system is broken in, there are variables that contribute to how loud and how far outside the sound will travel.

Sound projection is not always a good thing, cause it can cause police and thieves to target you.

I knew I was gonna get some butthurt pussy to start talkin shit on my post lol 

1. My buddy's system is cheaper and tuned to 26 hertz therefore your argument is invalid 

2. You haven't done testing on this, I have , therefore your argument is invalid 

3. I tested the same system in 2 different cars and one car was much louder even though they are both midsize sedans , Dashboard was the only factor I noticed. Nothing else makes sense 

Archived