Second Skin Audio

4th order

killerc998

Sealed box recommendation is an alright place to start for the rear chamber, but your front chamber is going to be completely different than a ported box. The frequency you tune to is the center frequency of your bandpass. So you are going to tune higher than a ported box would be. The volume of the front chamber (and rear too really) determine your Q (shape and width) of the passband. You can build a peaky one note wonder box or a flatter box that isn't as loud.

How come you are going for a 4th order?

It's a blow through with max opening of 39.5x11. It's 4 8s. 8.6 outer diameter x 4 is 34.4". which leaves 5"x11",55^2 of port. It's not enough port. So will do I 4th order. I have a camper shell, so enough room. Possibly move to 8 8s

+1 to what Vice03 said.

If you think you are going to upgrade to eight 8"s in the future, you would be MUCH better off to sell the four eights you have now and get four 12"s. When it comes to subwoofers, 8"s compromise a lot because of their size. 8"s are for when you can't fit anything bigger.

Back to your box design question. What model of subs are you going to be using? What amp? What are your goals for the system?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

all ct-sounds, strato's 8s dual 1 ohm, wired to 1 ohm on a t1500.d1, not looking for the loudest thing, just something that is useable. building a ported box right now to just get them in, don't like how its coming out because of lack of port square in. So looking in to doing a 4th to get the subs moved back into bed a little so I can have more space for the port.

I got a chance to look over the specs for those CT Sounds Strato 8"s, unfortunately they aren't very well suited for 4th order bandpass box use. You are going to end up with either a really narrow pass band, or much less efficiency than a ported box would have.

Assuming you would put these in the recommended ported box of 3 cu ft net airspace for the four subs tuned to 32-35 Hz on 1500 watts, 55 sq in of port area should be more than adequate. I wouldn't hesitate at all to build a box to those specs. In your case a ported box is DEFINITELY the way to go.

If for some reason you still feel like you needed more port area, you could arrange the baffle in a "V" type layout to make room for a larger port on the side of the box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived