DB Electrical Alternators? I have one...

I've had a DB Electrical HO alternator for about 3 years, and I have to say for being a bargain brand they're alright.

Anyone else have some input? I have one on my work truck to power the plow pump's motor as the stock alternator couldn't do it. It puts out a max of 110A, but it's high output at idle for applications like this. I have to say, it regulates between 13.7-14.5 (it's self exciting[charging]). It holds 14V even usually, goes up to 14.5 after idling or normal use with loads no bigger than the headlights, goes down to 13.7 when under the 40A load plus headlights (which is about 60A max idling load as it claims) and not any lower. Lights dimming isn't a problem here, it's running on a Diehard 1000CCA AGM battery that I stole out of a retired Jeep that I put 375K miles on. IMO they're not bad, anyone else think differently/agree?

Had one on my mustang a few years ago. After the second time it shorted out on me I was done with that company

Yeah they are cheap, there is a reason for it

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Had one on my mustang a few years ago. After the second time it shorted out on me I was done with that company

Yeah they are cheap, there is a reason for it

Yeah I know they were cheap, just wanted to know if they were worth using or not. I got a quote from Singer and am getting a proper 400A max alternator for my setup.

A 60 amp load shouldn't really make voltage drop, that makes me think the alternator is not performing up to what its rated at.

The alternator drops from 14.3 to 13.5. It's running within spec and I don't have enough fucks to give considering it's max amperage is rated at 105A at 1200RPM.

The stock alternator on the truck could only put out 40A max on a good day (it's a 1967 Nissan Patrol with a plow mounted to it) so this was a major upgrade.

I paid 70$ for the bitch free shipping with chrome plating so I could care less if the voltage drops a small bit.

It's not like my 400A alternator going on my Buick that's 730$, I'd fucking die if that thing did that under a 60A load.

Archived