Sonic Electronix

Sound deadening question. More deadener or better quality?

I am trying to decide weather to buy 36ft2 of stinger roadkill or to buy some knu Knoise kollosus that is only 14ft2. I am aiming to do the front doors, a little on the inside and sealing the large holes. Would it be better to buy roadkill so I can deaden more surface are like the doors and some of the floor or to buy the higher quality mat and only do some of the doors?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-2004 Ford explorer

-Pioneer Deh-80prs HU

-4 Rockford Fosgate R1683

-2 Rockford Fosgate P1S4-12 wired to 2ohms

-1 Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1

-I know it's very basic...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The knukonceptz isnt too bad I used both thickness, but it lacks a rigid foil which is important in panel stiffening!

The knukonceptz deadener is made by the same overseas company that makes the majority of the other brands.

All of these brands have a soft aluminum foil (comparable to what you use for cooking, but thicker).

You want a deadener with thick rigid aluminum (rigid as in a soda can), and the only deadener on the market to offer that is SecondSkin.

Their deadener is made in the USA, and is always fresh pure butyl with no fillers.

Older butyl that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time, or that is using other fillers such as asphalt does not stick the greatest.

With Black Friday around the corner Im sure SecondSkin will be having some sales on their product.

But their hand selected B-stock 40lb packages are also a great buy as well because their b-stock pieces are still a better quality of what most he other people sell.

A good way I measure deadener by is if you hold the piece out in front of you horizontally with 1 hand will the deadeners foil support it enough to stay somewhat straight, or will it fold and fall down like a limp d*ck.

Not many brands will pass this test! So if it cant support its own weight, then really what good is it doing to your vehicle panels besides just adding mass?

Another rigid deadener is the Ampere Audio VibraFlex, but this stuff almost feels like a led plate (its not of coarse), and has no butyl. Ideally you want to warm it up with a heat gun to install it, but the strength it adds is something no other butyl deadener offers. Something like this works great, but imo adding a layer of SecondSkin over the top of this or their closed cell foam makes it even better.

The knukonceptz isnt too bad I used both thickness, but it lacks a rigid foil which is important in panel stiffening!

The knukonceptz deadener is made by the same overseas company that makes the majority of the other brands.

All of these brands have a soft aluminum foil (comparable to what you use for cooking, but thicker).

You want a deadener with thick rigid aluminum (rigid as in a soda can), and the only deadener on the market to offer that is SecondSkin.

Their deadener is made in the USA, and is always fresh pure butyl with no fillers.

Older butyl that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time, or that is using other fillers such as asphalt does not stick the greatest.

With Black Friday around the corner Im sure SecondSkin will be having some sales on their product.

But their hand selected B-stock 40lb packages are also a great buy as well because their b-stock pieces are still a better quality of what most he other people sell.

A good way I measure deadener by is if you hold the piece out in front of you horizontally with 1 hand will the deadeners foil support it enough to stay somewhat straight, or will it fold and fall down like a limp d*ck.

Not many brands will pass this test! So if it cant support its own weight, then really what good is it doing to your vehicle panels besides just adding mass?

Another rigid deadener is the Ampere Audio VibraFlex, but this stuff almost feels like a led plate (its not of coarse), and has no butyl. Ideally you want to warm it up with a heat gun to install it, but the strength it adds is something no other butyl deadener offers. Something like this works great, but imo adding a layer of SecondSkin over the top of this or their closed cell foam makes it even better.

I have heard a lot of good things about second skin, but I'm trying to stay under about $80 for now and would very much prefer that to online. Would I be able to do so with secondskin

-2004 Ford explorer

-Pioneer Deh-80prs HU

You can lead the horse to water but you cant make them drink...

Like Ive said, Ive used a lot of products and have first hand experience over and over again and there is a reason why my go to is SecondSkin Damplifier Pro or Ampere Audio Vibraflex.
I like to provide the best information I can in my replies so people dont make the same mistakes I or others have.

If you want to use these other brands that are all made by the same overseas factory with no difference except the logo then by all means its your money.
I guess you dont want quality like the thread title states since you said $80 is your limit.

I will await your next thread 6 months down the road when your cheap deadener is failing and you are redoing it all and struggling to clean off the old generic product only to buy new product and spend more time doing something over. Case and point just like this user that went with quality err I mean cheap products, and this forum and others are filled with similar topics with users that thought the cheaper product was better. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206775-peel-and-seal-was-the-stupidest-fking-thing-ive-ever-done/

665718_480402758660711_134705100_o.jpg

You can lead the horse to water but you cant make them drink...

Like Ive said, Ive used a lot of products and have first hand experience over and over again and there is a reason why my go to is SecondSkin Damplifier Pro or Ampere Audio Vibraflex.

I like to provide the best information I can in my replies so people dont make the same mistakes I or others have.

If you want to use these other brands that are all made by the same overseas factory with no difference except the logo then by all means its your money.

I guess you dont want quality like the thread title states since you said $80 is your limit.

I will await your next thread 6 months down the road when your cheap deadener is failing and you are redoing it all and struggling to clean off the old generic product only to buy new product and spend more time doing something over. Case and point just like this user that went with quality err I mean cheap products, and this forum and others are filled with similar topics with users that thought the cheaper product was better. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206775-peel-and-seal-was-the-stupidest-fking-thing-ive-ever-done/

665718_480402758660711_134705100_o.jpg

Well I am trying to stay under $80 because I have cards to Amazon and being a college student, I don't exactly have a ton to spend on this. I was wondering if I could possibly do it with second skin under this price at all. I would much rather do it once instead of doing it twice, but it's more of doing it for relatively cheap or not at all.

-2004 Ford explorer

-Pioneer Deh-80prs HU

or you can wait to have more money.. why pend $80 plus your time to redo it later when you have the money?

i have like 120 square feet if not more and i mean way more.. i get on the sales when i see them

That explains everything, your a millennial.
Maybe SecondSkin should just give it to you for free then because they obviously have more money then you, after all Im sure you deserve it.

Do a little at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Damplifier-Butyl-Deadener/dp/B0134VHSGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479609201&sr=8-2&keywords=second+skin+damplifier+pro

That explains everything, your a millennial.

Maybe SecondSkin should just give it to you for free then because they obviously have more money then you, after all Im sure you deserve it.

Do a little at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Damplifier-Butyl-Deadener/dp/B0134VHSGK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479609201&sr=8-2&keywords=second+skin+damplifier+pro

I am in no way being a "millennial" and trying to get this for free. I am here to get knowledge from people who have done this before. I am hoping to find out if it's worth doing it at this price or if I have to just wait longer and save money when I can. Yes I'm a college student and don't have a whole lot of money, but I'm not acting like anybody owes me anything.

-2004 Ford explorer

-Pioneer Deh-80prs HU

Archived