94 Suzuki Sidekick JLX (Daughters first vehicle, AGM & big 3 done)

Picked up this Sidekick for my Daughter this week, Its her first car and she paid for 100% of it with her hard own $ from working all summer. Funny thing is, this was on her way to work thru our neighborhood, she passed it every day. (10 minute walk, 2 minute bike ride. Brutal i know right..). Well i noticed it first from walking our dog around the area, and she liked it too. Was a pretty good deal, i knew nothing about them until she bought it and i did a little research. That year Suzuki made 7 models, this was there highest end model, sold for $15.500. Low blue book was around $1600 and High was $4700, She picked it for $2250 so a good deal imo. He had aluminum rims with studded tires he thru in so that sweetened the deal. 2nd owner and had it for 10 years. Never been wrecked, 100% in tack, just needs a couple things fixed.

It has power everything, AT tranny, No A/C, A POWER mode for towing or hill climbing, cruise control, Suzuki security, and a CompuStar remote start but no FOB. I just spent 13 hrs going thru the entire vehicle, mainly washing and cleaning. Fix a couple issues. These things are suppose to get 23 city, 26 hwy and on a 15 gal tank that not bad. I will be getting some tune up parts so she gets the best gas millage. Sucks... She moving out next month and i have only had in my home for 10 months. She wants out, so what do you do. Well i gave her a nice looking ride. Her brother stopped by today and thought it was perfect for her.

Enough back story, on with the pics....

IMG_2616_zpsg6dhdjzm.jpg

I would have liked to have buffed it but this 10x better than it was. Guy was a hoarder, he had like 7 vehicles and this was his wifes that she didn't drive any more. He had it for said all summer with just a sign on it so it was filthy, even worse on the inside cause he used it for storage. I think...

IMG_2617_zpsml1rw0ps.jpg

1.6 ltr 95 hp engine. Vehicle has 158,000 miles and owner said he had $2500 over haul on the engine @ 97.000. Runs smooth and quiet. Need to get her a nice cheap AGM for under there.

IMG_2620_zpscs4ru94x.jpg

HU is a Pioneer Super Tuner 3D? If its decent and has some RCA pre outs then i will leave it for now. Even though a double din touch screen would look nice in there. Super small build on next to no budget.

IMG_2623_zpsxdqeedpb.jpg

Seat are still like new. Interiors in pretty good shape but cargo area got beat up a little. 7/10 ?

IMG_2618_zps0utmiznk.jpg

What could go there.... Hmmm Those rear seats are pretty cool. They fold forward to double the space back there. I was thinking about a sub enclosure in that rear door, couple 6" or 4 might look cool. Would have to beef door up and build an enclosure for it. Be kinda fun. For now my son is donating his RF P2 12 in a RF Box with his Prime 1000 to run them. So that was cool of him. He has had them since he was 18, had them in a few a few of his rides.

IMG_2621_zpsxcdb2k2b.jpg

Rear sound stage. All for speakers are 4" Might keep it that way, up grade all speakers and get and prime amp to match. Damn... looks like it might be another RF build but with Prime amps and what ever decent 4" i can find. Might do a comp set in the front door though. Just mean more work and i would love to keep it simple as fuck, but make it sound good.

IMG_2624_zpshgbudruk.jpg

And of course the ole 4" in the face of the dash trick. With that HU the speakers sound ok in there locations. Slight fill from the rear and front stage isnt horrible. Some 4" comps that where cheap would be nice too. at least up front. Like i said, cheap and fast! I have too many projects and never enough time.

IMG_2628_zpspqurbwij.jpg

The Lancer, Malibu, 94 GMC truck and now the sidekick. Be nice to finish one, ok even work on one. Worked out in 15 degree weather putting in water and sewer line on a future Brewery. Water line was 16' deep and sewer was 10'. Frost was 2 feet thick. But the $ is good so hard to turn it down.

x2 man. Very clean, almost the same headunit I had in my car too. Shes lucky to have a volume knob, mine were the plus and minus buttons lol

After doing research on the DEH-1900-m HU it only has rear low voltage pre outs. Bummer. might be worth looking at getting a cheap HU, ? Or just up grade spealers run the 12's and call it a day.

x2 man. Very clean, almost the same headunit I had in my car too. Shes lucky to have a volume knob, mine were the plus and minus buttons lol

After doing research on the DEH-1900-m HU it only has rear low voltage pre outs. Bummer. might be worth looking at getting a cheap HU, ? Or just up grade spealers run the 12's and call it a day.

Id say treat the front and rear stage nice and just throw the 12s in. Unless she can benefit from better USB function on a newer headunit.

Id say treat the front and rear stage nice and just throw the 12s in. Unless she can benefit from better USB function on a newer headunit.

Her music is on her phone so the HU has a AUX jack on the face she can use. I just need to spend some time with her and go over the functions of the HU. That model HU seems good enough for now, i was looking into the Prime R250x4 that accepts high level inputs. Going for $97 off Amazon, puts out 40 Watts RMS @ 4 ohm rated, dynamic is 54 x 4 @ 4 ohm. I think that would be a good match fot the RFT142's & the P142's. T1's are going for $99 and the P1's for $51. T1's can take 10 Watts rms more and go down to 90 hz witch is better than the P1's. But being on a slim budget getting 2 set for the cost of 1 is more practical. But the audio guy in me say give her the best front stage possible.

Both speaker locations need to be prepped for better response. Especially the front stage. Its just a huge open cavity behind the dash, it would take sound deadening, MDF to reinforce dash and some poly fill to help the front stage. All budget friendly materials.

Both speaker locations need to be prepped for better response. Especially the front stage. Its just a huge open cavity behind the dash, it would take sound deadening, MDF to reinforce dash and some poly fill to help the front stage. All budget friendly materials.

or stuff you may already have laying around :)

Archived