Second Skin Audio

Is my box too small????

Gerardo Vasquez

Equipment : 240 amp alternator, crossfire xs 4k, 2 12 massive audio hippos (2 ohm)(wired at 0.5 ohm), 2 31 group size batteries. (all this in a 2004 honda civic)

I have a guy who builds boxes and is very good at it with a satisfaction guaranteed for the box for the owner. He builds boxes specific to the owners vehicle. However the box he made for me is around 2.5 cubic feet total volume I know he can fit a bigger box in there, the trunk space isn't the biggest, however I know the box is too small for the subs and there is space for a bigger box is this a situation where I should fit the biggest box in as I can? He says a bigger box will lose output in my case and gave me the example that the loud boxes domt have to be big. What do you guys think? Should I demand a new box?

I'd be curious what your builder's logic is regarding a larger box losing output. Making a box bigger isn't necessarily the right thing to do, for a lot of different reasons, but I find his claim that you will lose output questionable.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Equipment : 240 amp alternator, crossfire xs 4k, 2 12 massive audio hippos (2 ohm)(wired at 0.5 ohm), 2 31 group size batteries. (all this in a 2004 honda civic)

I have a guy who builds boxes and is very good at it with a satisfaction guaranteed for the box for the owner. However the box he made for me is around 2.5 cubic feet total volume I know he can fit a bigger box in there, the trunk space isn't the biggest, however I know the box is too small for the subs and there is space for a bigger box is this a situation where I should fit the biggest box in as I can? He says a bigger box will lose output in my case and gave me the example that the loud boxes domt have to be big. What do you guys think? Should I demand a new box?

Im going to assume this box is sealed and not ported?

Also, what do you feel is wrong with it and what we're you expecting that you didn't get? As for 2 12s in 2.5ft^3 seems to be a bit on the small side for me. My single 12 is in 2.5ft^3. Granted every driver is different and this one might prefer smaller boxes so it may be okay. Best way to tell is to plug everything into a simulation program and play with the specs to see what gets you you desired goals within reason.

Archived