Sonic Electronix

Rattle from inside the sub box? [UPDATE: Tinsel Slap Issue fixed with Felt Pads]

I've been noticing a strange rattle noise coming from inside of my subwoofer box (the far left side of the box). I think it's more noticeable at full tilt but also can be heard at low volume: 15/27 (everything was tuned with my oscope).

Note: my subs are shooting into the cabin.

I thought maybe the rattle was something from my car panels above so I opened the back of my trunk and put my ears against the back of the subwoofer box to check. I can confirm that the strange rattle is coming from only one side of my subwoofer box.

What could this be? The last time I had a strange rattle from my box it was because the box I was using was falling apart inside.

As a result, I had a new box built by CJ18 for my 12" XLM2's.

One of the tests that I was going to do was to swap the left and right subs to see if the rattle still happens in the same spot; however, the subs are a pain the butt to get out of the box because I have to do it while sitting inside my back seats of the car.

Any thoughts on what this strange rattle noise could be? Could it be the speaker wires hitting the box from the inside?

Some old pictures of the box build can be found here:
http://vietpho.net/~images/2012carproject/box-build/

Is it possible that some of the glue from the box inside broke apart and is dangling inside the box when the bass hits?

The rattle happens at lower bass hits around 34 hz

UPDATE: Looks like a portion of my Tinsel on my DC Audio XLM2 came unstitched and is slapping the cone....

DC_Audio_XLM2_Loose_Tinsel_Lead-1.jpg
DC_Audio_XLM2_Loose_Tinsel_Lead-2.jpg
DC_Audio_XLM2_Loose_Tinsel_Lead-3.jpg
DC_Audio_XLM2_Loose_Tinsel_Lead-4.jpg

See Vid:

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

fiberglass the joints with glass mat also. something is loose, it happened to me. i also used all thread 2 on each side of the box.

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

fiberglass the joints with glass mat also. something is loose, it happened to me. i also used all thread 2 on each side of the box.

I don't know how to fiberglass or build boxes. This box was built by CJ18 DC Audio rep :(

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

If all they used for glue was that liquid nails then thats likely the failure point.

2 missing screws isnt the end of the world, you may just get air leaks through the pilot holes

Also was the box shipped to you?

Easily could have happened in transit. Seeing all those USPS boxes is telling me yes.

thanks. because ive actually given him reasons on why I said what I said. Anyone can say "probably a blown sub"

given the pictures from the OP that is my conclusion. Wont know until he tries more and reports back

I'll take the subs out later this week and take pics of the subs to see if there are any tinsel slaps too and do the sub swap. I don't think it's a blown sub though because that thing still hits pretty hard. I checked the resistance last night from my wiring and still reads around 1 ohm - 1.2 ohm.

Archived