Second Skin Audio

How much db gain if adding the same sub with extra power?

Shanerator

ok, experts, please tell me once for all.. i have now 1 sub giving it 400 rms power in single sub enclosure.. I will change that to 2 subs enclosure with 2 identical subs in it and will give each one 400 rms power. So i will have 2 subs instead of 1 and all together 800 rms instead of just 400.. Is this now 6 db increase cuz i doubled the cone area and doubled the power or is just 3 db? Tnx

Basically that would be 6db. Of course you still have a ton of variables that will effect it. The box and impedance rise come to mind along with the gain from the car will be different etc.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

ok understand that.. just wanted to confirm this basic 3 vs 6 db thing.. so the concept is.. if you just double the power to one speaker, only 3 db increase, but if you add one speaker and give it the same power, 6 db increase in perfect conditions?

is this rule still apliable in ex. if we had 4 the same woofers (400 rms each) with total of 1600 wats rms? Is this 12 db increase in comparison with just 1 sub getting 400 rms?

Yup, you've got it right. Like ShadeTree said though, what you get in practice isn't always the same as what theory says you will get.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

ok tnx very much. Just one last question. It is the same for example with tweeters? like 1 tweeter 50 rms and then another 50 rms. Also 6 db? or no because they are on seperate sides..

Its more complicated with tweeters. Speakers (tweeters, mids, subwoofer, etc) have to be within a certain proximity of each other for their output to combine properly. The higher frequency being produced, the closer they have to be. With tweeters, since they are on opposite sides of the vehicle, they aren't going to combine perfectly. They will be louder than just one, but its not like subwoofers.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived