Bought a NEWER Bimmer :D

I'll be in ge market for a new toy soon and I've always liked the e60 BMW. I hear that at around 100k miles they do require major mantainence, which scares me a bit. Congrats on your new toy brother.

Baron,

Here are some videos I am posting up on my You Tube channel.

Here I am diagnosing a common "No Heat" situation. When I purchased the car I did not test the heat. It was sunny and I was driving with the top down. My mistake. It dipped down to 58 degrees with the top down and that's when I found out I had no heat!!!!!!

First attempt: Thermostat. Didn't fix it!!

Next step "Heater Valve Test". It failed.

What a working heater valve should look and sound like. All 5,6,7 series have this sort of heater valve.

The electric thermostat was $78. The heater valve new at the dealership is around $300. $175 on line if you can find it. Me, I went to LKQ and found one off an X5 for $3.46!!!!! So for $81.46 I fixed 2 things that could have cost me around $600 at the dealership or $400 at an indy shop.

I still need to check the aux water pump that feeds the heater core at idle. I have heat when driving, but need to check at idle. I think mine works. Simple test. Brown is ground, and the other wire is the (+). These engines run at 500 rpm at idle, and it can't flow coolant to the heater core to offer heat. The aux pump fixes that. It's $95.00 new or $10.00 at LKQ. Do things like this and you too can own a Bimmer. If you can't....DON'T BUY A BIMMER! lol.

-Frank

im using full synthetic 5-20w .. my friend replaced the ccv with cheap ones.. i might have to get oem and see if that helps

yeah, I replaced mine on the white one was well. Keep in mind, if you see the BMW bulletins. Some of their motors DO CONSUME ABOUT 1 QT PER 1K MILES. They are not calling this excessive! lol. I'm at 1 Quart every 1 month. I need to figure out how much I drive in a month and do the math!.

-Frank

im using full synthetic 5-20w .. my friend replaced the ccv with cheap ones.. i might have to get oem and see if that helps

5w-20 is the wrong oil weight for that car,

BMW suggest 5w-30, if it was mine I'd go with a 5w-40 synthetic.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'll be in ge market for a new toy soon and I've always liked the e60 BMW. I hear that at around 100k miles they do require major mantainence, which scares me a bit. Congrats on your new toy brother.

My 2011 335i is in the garage since the Valvetronic broke down at 86kmi. The eccentric shaft gear and the worm-gear valvetronic motor wore each other out. If you have the Bentley BMW manual and are competent with a wrench in hand, they arent too bad to work on, in general. The only problem is the diagnostics tool costs around $3k, which I refuse to buy. So each time I work on her, I have to either peg leg her to the shop or flatbed her there for a reflash. I still love the car, though. Drives like silk.

Congrats on the purchase Deez!

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

My 2011 335i is in the garage since the Valvetronic broke down at 86kmi. The eccentric shaft gear and the worm-gear valvetronic motor wore each other out. If you have the Bentley BMW manual and are competent with a wrench in hand, they arent too bad to work on, in general. The only problem is the diagnostics tool costs around $3k, which I refuse to buy. So each time I work on her, I have to either peg leg her to the shop or flatbed her there for a reflash. I still love the car, though. Drives like silk.

Congrats on the purchase Deez!

Thanks!! Yeah, that's the thing. The 3 Series I can work all day long. So far I replaced the thermostat, the heater valve. Saved me a bunch. I rolled the savings into having the ac evac'ed and recharged at European Auto Haus here in Tampa for $171. Saved $20 since I'm a repeat costumer. :D In it for $255 so far. I would have been easily at $1k if I didn't do it myself. Going to have to get a car cover since she sits under my large oak right now until I can park her in the garage.

-Frank

• 1 month later...

Update:   

I found out the driver's side rear had 3 cracks on the inner lip edge.  Seems the Style 121 made by Gilardi for BMW had a class action law suit due to poorly made 19" upgraded rims yrs ago. The verdict forced BMW to pay back owners up to $500 per repaired rim with receipt.  This class action ended yrs ago so I'm S.O.L.  So my options were to buy another refurbished Style 121 rear from Ebay and take my chances or get after market rims. I chose the latter. 

STR Racing 607 Titanium. Staggered set up.  19x8.5 et 15 fronts,  19x10 et 20. 245/40/19 front and 285/30/19 rears.  Great rear wheel clearance. I will probably go with 40 series when the rears wear down.  285/35/19 is what is on the M6. 

20170113_164117_zpsjrza1vya.jpg

Had to buy 2 new front tires.  Got a deal on 2 barely used Good Year Eagle RS-As. One had a slit on the side wall, so they're getting me one from the Clearwater Store.  Right now there's a China brand on her now. 

20170113_164439_zpsbhogzdou.jpg

Next project. Subs.

-Frank

Wow, those look great Frank.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived