What makes a good Head Unit?

Don't go for a Jensen h u. You'l regret it later.

You can have a better double DIN h u for your budget.

Look for h u from Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Clarion.

If you want a lot of settings, you can add a mini-dsp for $100 on any unit. You don't need to buy the most expensive units.

You only need 2 pairs of rca. 3 would be better but you can live with 2 !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see some that specifically say resistive (WVGA?) so I'll steer away from those. All the others are pretty much TFT LCD displays...those alright for touch sensitivity?

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

I see some that specifically say resistive (WVGA?) so I'll steer away from those. All the others are pretty much TFT LCD displays...those alright for touch sensitivity?

From what i could gather with a quick lil Google search. TFT lcd can come in resistive or capacitive. The term TFT isnt gonna help you much when trying to find out if its resistive or capacitive. It stands for Thin Film Transistor, i take it as all that means is that the screen is its remote. What type of remote though?It doesnt clarify. So youre going to have to dig a lil deeper if you wanna find out what kind of touch screen a HU has.

My guess would be, if it doesnt say its capacitive, its probabaly not. Capacitive screens are generally more sought after in the touch screen world, over resistive. So if a product had that "quality" as a feature on it, id hope the company takes the time to advertise that spec about its product. Know what i mean? Id definately use that as a selling point if it were my product.

I see what your saying, I agree. I'm looking on sonic electronix and almost all of them say TFT LCD and only a few I see say resistive outright. Hope they're all capactivie. Kind of feels like being blindfolded picking random TFT LCD Head units hoping they're capacitive though

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

I've narrowed it down to a few JVC and the Jensons, still debating. Don't know why I never think of these things but that's a smart move

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

I've been getting mixed reviews on Jenson but on other websites their around 4.5 stars with typically lots of reviews. Maybe just for features like the GPS I'd want for $300. Otherwise every other head unit with GPS stock is like $650. They're 6v although someone said not to get tripped up on the preamp voltage. Liked pioneer but I don't like the interface on it when I played with it at a local shop. Liked JVCs better. I got a consensus for a good head unit to look for USB and high preamp voltage

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

If you are entertaining buying a Jensen, then you are not entertaining the idea of SQ. Not saying Jensen won't work as a headunit, but it is far from SQ.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived