What makes a good Head Unit?

I want a touchscreen double din and know all the unnecessary extra stuff (back up camera, steering control etc) in a head unit I want in my 07 Suburban...besides that and 3 presets for front, rear, and subs; I don't know what else to look at for sound quality? (Bits, FLAC, USB, inputs, EQ etc). I'm looking to spend around $300-350 and want to buy it right the first time.

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The head unit I bought with all of the Sound Quality features I needed was about a grand. Might want to save up a better budget sir. Good luck.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

The head unit I bought with all of the Sound Quality features I needed was about a grand. Might want to save up a better budget sir. Good luck.

Many people just dont know what sound quality actually is, unlike a purist or any other guy that has been in the game for a while.

To many people replacing the factory 6by9s in the rear and the 6.5s in the front with some Pioneer coaxles is their version/definition of "sound quality".

Hell even some people think just buying some high end gear like Morel, Focal, Rainbow, etc means that their install is now built for sound quality which is still way way way off base yet.

The Pioneer 80PRS specs might give you some ideas about what you can look for in a good unit. Check out JVC's website. The newest line of head units seems to be in your price range and has plenty of features.

He's looking for a touch screen double din unit.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

The Pioneer 80PRS specs might give you some ideas about what you can look for in a good unit. Check out JVC's website. The newest line of head units seems to be in your price range and has plenty of features.

He's looking for a touch screen double din unit.

Thanks for the specific units, although, as stated above I am looking for double dins. One another note for head units and features, a shop here in town suggested I get a kenwood because it has higher volts or something? Would that only matter if I put mids and highs in the head unit and not on an amp? Also...what would produce the greatest sound quality for file/medium selection? Like FLAC files or something else and USB versus 3.5mm aux etc

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

Archived