Local shop outrageous quote for custom fab?

Derek217

Local shop here in town quoted me $4500 for fiberglass door panels to house two 6.5 and two tweeters for all four door panels. I know it would be expensive and time consuming...but $4500 worth??? Not in my budget regardless

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Ground Pounder Build In Progress

Clarion NX706

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quoted $800-$1000 for 2 door panels with 2 component sets in each one, that included shipping. Not just pods either, but only the lower half mind you. That is them getting door panels that match mine from like say a salvage yard and then going to town on them, painted smooth fiberglass, not carpeted. He is on this forum and does amazing work. owns a shop, has done tons of door panels.

EDIT: @$4500 I would never use that shop for anything, ever.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

That's still crazy imo. Only other thing i asked them how much was to built a box for 4 18s around 20-25ft cb. Quoted $1500 roughly for birch with the subs firing up and port towards the back. They claim they can do a walk but I feel the prices are still too high

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

I was quoted $800-$1000 for 2 door panels with 2 component sets in each one, that included shipping. Not just pods either, but only the lower half mind you. That is them getting door panels that match mine from like say a salvage yard and then going to town on them, painted smooth fiberglass, not carpeted. He is on this forum and does amazing work. owns a shop, has done tons of door panels.

EDIT: @$4500 I would never use that shop for anything, ever.

That's still crazy imo. Only other thing i asked them how much was to built a box for 4 18s around 20-25ft cb. Quoted $1500 roughly for birch with the subs firing up and port towards the back. They claim they can do a walk but I feel the prices are still too high

Ok, how much were you expecting to pay for 4 door panels then? lol I thought $800 was a good price, cost of the panels, shipping, etc.....fiberglass takes time (and sanding LMAO)

Build your own box. Why birch? It's lighter but cost more than MDF, trying to save weight? I am just curious. I have no idea what you know about car audio but when you walk into a shop wanting them to do everything for you I'm sure they look at you as someone they can make money from, IDK.........

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

What should they cost? The price of materials and the time it takes to sit down and watch a few youtube videos. There is a couple great step-by-step video tutorials out right now that explain how to build door panels from start to finish, one of them being by EXOcontralto. Fiberglass work may seem like a daunting task at first look but the nice thing about it is, with a little research and a few trash it and try agains it really isn't that bad. For what that shop is asking you could build them, screw up, trash them, and rebuild them til they were perfect well over 10 times before you even got close to that price. And believe me, your first set will probably look like garbage, but you'll be learning more every time. All I'm saying is, don't be discouraged by steep shop prices and prospects of failure, that's what communities like this one are for, to encourage guys like you and I to take the extra step and create something unique. Where failure will only get a few jokes and some good advice for next time, and success will gain you a lot of respect. Take it from someone who a year and a half ago didn't even know the difference between series and parallel, this community is a life saver.

I think I didn't relay my information as directly as I should've. The $4500 is crazy imo but $800 was literally what I expected and thought would've been right. I didn't ask these guys to quote anything but boxes and door panels. I'll do the rest myself. They said birch because it's lighter and better SQ, I guess with my lift I don't know if they thought heavy mdf would fuck my suspsnesion up already lifting a suburban. My guess. I could build my own...don't quite think I'll have the skill for bracing and stuff like that though

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

Birch because better SQ on a subwoofer enclosure. <_<

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

I never really thought of doing it myself but I'll look into. I appreciate the advice and motivation. I wouldn't mind spending a weekend or two making my own door panels for sure if it didn't cost me too crazy. I'll look into that guy and see about giving it a shot when the time comes. Thanks man

07 Chevy Suburban Lifted

Clarion NX706

Archived