Second Skin Audio

please help aeroport enclosure for 4x Sundown Sa-12 d2 v3

David Stone

So I am looking at trying my first Aeroport build. I have been messing around with WinISD and torres and I'm having problems. I am looking for an enclosure that is

external height 23.5

external width/length 49.5
external depth 16.5
for the back of my 05 Dakota Club Cab.
I was planning on running a Skar 3500 for my amp.
I would like to mount the sa-12s facing the front seats and have a large Aeroport on the top of the box.
I was trying to model something using an 8" diameter port but to be honest I'm not sure if that's the best size. I could not get the box to have a flat response. It only peaked by 1-1.5db when tuned low like 27 or 28hz but that is low for sa-12 from what ive read.
Would anybody be willing to help me out with a design or some ideas on what ports to use?
I went with the 8 because it seemed like I could use one and not have it be crazy length.
Thanks.

A single 8" port won't be enough port area for what you are going to be running. Two 8" ports would work well but they may have to be pretty long. Assuming 8 cu ft net volume tuned to 28 Hz two 8" ports would need to be around 37" long.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Big slot port. Subs up, port up. Some people make flared ports out of PVC. You could probably find a video if you google it.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Damn that is long and expensive. I am very open to using other port sizes. What would be an alternative that would work? Like I said I am new to aeroports but I am really exited to learn.

A slot port is probably the easiest solution.

An alternative would be to get some 8" concrete form tubing, like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-8-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470075/100321209

The concrete form tubing is cheap and then you can make some flared ends out of MDF with a router and a round over bit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

My original plan was a slot port up and two subs on top inverted and two on the front side facing the seats. With only 49.5" in width across my truck there is no way to do all four on top and have the slot unless I did a long port along the whole width of the box. Would that be possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived