Sonic Electronix

Random Question. Trying to help friend

Can't choke a magnet in the sense he is thinking. Several problems are most likely going on, First would be the enclosure either too big or too small and sounds like it was leaking if you could smell the coils, second is clipping it to death, either by over driving the amp or a shitty source material recording or hell even both, third is just plain and simple lack of knowledge. Often times people will over drive new subs on lower power as the subs suspension is super stiff and has very low output at the start of it's life so it needs some time to break in and get louder, when you have 1k or less the output is less than people think and they instantly want to rip it all out without understanding it takes time to loosen the suspension and get louder, just how it goes, over the course of weeks and months it will continue to get louder and louder.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Google up images of the old style RE MT and XXX. Beast subs with no pole vents. Many SPL competitors tape up their pole vents and gain.

Your subwoofer motor is NOT a heat sink needing space. If it were they'd have fins.

Your friend is very simply giving those subs more power than they are designed to handle period, end of story. Go ahead and inverse mount those subs and the same thing will happen with the magnets out in the open.

In all my 15 years of car audio, I have never smelled voice coils burning. Your friend needs to tune his ears so that he can hear distortion and so he can listen to those more knowledgeable than him. Gains need to be set properly. OTOH, the manufacturers and stores will continue selling him more gear. They don't care if he blows stuff up after he buys it. Sad to hear about this sort of thing. When I help my friends with car audio, I tell them to throw out everything they thought they knew about it or I wont help them.

After talking to my girlfriends about it, she let me in on a funny little tib bit about the setup. Apparently the box that is being used is actually meant for 2 10's not 2 12's. Whenever my girlfriend is curious about something in Audio she will ask me why it happens or why this is done or how it happens. Anyways, she tried explaining to her brother that if he wired them up to 4ohm instead of 1ohm that he would be less likely to blow them due to less power (subs are rated for 600RMS together and the amp puts out 600RMS @ 4 ohms and 1300RMS @ 1 ohm) but he wasn't having any of it. Told her that's not how it works and she doesn't know what she's talking about. I just laughed. While yes, you can still blow them at rated power if you're sending them a horrible signal, it will definitely be harder to do. Especially considering what skullz said about having to loosen up the suspension. Oh well, like I said, it's not my system or money so he can do whatever his heart desires. I just sit in the back and laugh at the ridiculousness

Archived