Sonic Electronix

Random Question. Trying to help friend

I'm talking to a friend and he's trying to setup a new system. He blew one of his subs today (first time playing it) He said it either has no volume or it soundseems distorted, no I'm between. He says its because he is choking the magnet. He says that the magnet is too close to the wood it it's choking it out. I asked how he set his gains. So question, can you "choke your magnet". Tell me if I'm wrong but I believe that you're not really going to "choke it out" because the pole vents are usually for heat dissipation. If anything you'll make the sub load funny but if that was his problem shouldn't both of the subs have blown considering the prefab box is symmetrical (sealed box) and both subs are identical? I think he was clipping the hell out of the signal and blew it that way. Apparently you could really smell it.

What box? What subs? How much space between magnet and wood?

I'm assuming he set gains incorrectly or played boosted music from youtube.......

People put subs pretty darn close to the interior of boxes, and have no issues but it depends on the sub, and enclosure. Would like to know more about his set up before someone draws a conclusion about "choking his magnet"

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

2 Kicker Comp D 12" Dual 4ohm wired down to 1 ohm. Precision power ice2600.1D. Idk what the box specs are. Box is under the back seat of his Silverado. I believe they are down firing. I'm not sure how close they are to the wood. They swear it's something between the amps and the subs. Said something along the lines of the heat is causing the distortion. Then started saying the subs blew because they were choking the magnet. I don't know how gains were set and I'm sure he played boosted music off YouTube. Sorry for lack of details. I tried getting info but he wouldn't tell me. A lot of it comes from my girlfriend (his sister) who is currently with him. I'm just trying to help figure out what's going on before they blow another sub seeing as they've already ordered another one.

If you could smell it then I would say clipping. Sealed box and down firing, output is going to be lower than expected maybe? It sounds like the solution was to crank the gain.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

turn the gain down.. Its not a volume knob.

He is clipping the shit out of them

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Ive never ran a driver with a hole in the motor. But, i dont think you can choke the magnet. There needs to be optimal space from the driver from the baffle, but, im a lil lost on choking the magnet. Its just a magnet after all. If it has "pole vents" well, ya, i wouldnt cover them. But..... "choking" ? Thats new to me. Never read anyone say "opps, i choked the magnet, my bad" ..... Maybe i dont get the question.

And you could "smell" them .... in a sealed box ? ...... seems like your vented if you like it or not.

The only time I have heard of "choking" was when it caused the dust cap to make a funny noise.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Yeah, apparently you could smell the coils burning as soon as you got anywhere near the box. My girlfriend has asked that I just stop trying to help them (brother and Dad) seeing as they're not going to listen because the Dad thinks he knows everything (he did audio for a little bit back in the day). Whatever, I just get to laugh when they keep on burning up subs and getting pissed.

Well tell him to go choke his chicken and stop choking his magnet. And if he doesn't want to listen to reason. And get some real answers by people who don't choke there magnets . I've always heard you need 2 inch a least from magnet to box. But I'm Still choking up from bong.

Hey man this is the place to fine this type of answer. A lot of jokers on here that really mean no wrong even myself . This is the best of the best go to car audio site hands down I know of. I know enough to get me by and maybe a few others. Keep the question coning. By the way I am a old guy I listen to these guys . I'm in the back ground taking it all in, Made many changes how I do system from the site.

Archived