Second Skin Audio

Two box designs, Please help me decide!

jdjd

Could some of you "Box experts" please check out this design as I would like some opinions on this before I build one of these. Please look at the enclosed photos and let me know which design you think would work and sound the best. Ill be using a AA Mayhem 15. 2000 RMS watts amp and I have a very capable electrical system {High current Singer alt. 0 gauge wiring, two big batteries, Big three upgrade, etc.} This is going in a crew cab pickup truck in the rear floor area. AA's web sight says this sub works in 3-5 cf enclosures and needs 12 - 16 square inches of port area per cf. Both designs seem to meet these requirements and would be tuned to around 32hz. I listen to rock metal rap and country music if it matters. SQ is important to me but I want it loud as well. The main design differences are overall size and slight shape differences. What if any would this change the sound? I have never used the Torres software or this sub before and am just unsure about what I have planned. Thanks ...

542torrez.jpg

5.42.jpeg

621torrez.jpg

6.21.jpeg

What in the world? How about under the seat?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Forget taking the seat out. I need a truck with a useable back seat. The box that I am replacing was similar so I know this is what I want, i just have never used a Mayhem sub though. I had two twelves {W7} in there before and I just want to try something different. So could someone check the Torres numbers and see if they make sense and would sound good. A design like this really works great for a truck that you actually use everyday.

Both the box specs you have listed should work fine. The larger box will have slightly more output around tuning, but it also will have slightly more peaky frequency response. My preference would be for the smaller of the two, but the difference in performance between them is very small, probably inaudible.

The layout have for either box has some issues though. For best performance you want the sub and port mouth to as close to the perimeter of the vehicle as possible. This help reduce cancelation issues and certain frequencies due to reflections. For pickups having the sub and port firing up generally gives the best performance.

The biggest issue I see with your proposed designs is the boxes look like they are going to be sitting on top of the rear seat. That is a big no-no. The problem is its just about impossible to properly secure a box like that and if you are ever in an accident the box becomes a wrecking ball. People have been killed by unsecured boxes like that. If someone wants to take that risk for themselves, I think its foolish but that's their choice. However, you ever have any passengers in your vehicle you owe it to them to not take chances with their lives. It would be irresponsible and would open you up to being sued for negligence if something ever happened, just don't do it.

If your back seat is a 40/60 split what you can do is fold up the 40 side and then place the box on the floor there and bolt it down. This is a safe solution and it still gives you two seating position in the back seat.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for the informative reply. What do you mean by peaky frequency response, Please explain? I have included another design that might correct what you are talking about as both the sub and port fire straight up. This would help get the sub & Port more centered. Do you think this would be better? Like I stated earlier in my post, I had a similar setup, and had that one bolted to the floor from the bottom. Also It was just above the back seat {not touching it at all}. I also had a cable lock that I ran through brackets and ran through the seat mounts that would help keep the box from moving in the event of a collision. Thanks for mentioning though. Whatever I build I will attach securely. Old system photos included also.

5.422.jpg

jl1.jpg

jl2.jpg

Problem with those trucks and their owners wanting to fit 12s/15s in it...no room!! Unless you did a wall or a few smaller subs under the rear seat. You could raise the back seat up 2-3" or more to fit something.

Or buy a diff rig. You have the option of removing the rear seat to....wall that bish would look cool.

Archived