I am wanting to fiberglass 2 6.5's in front of my center console. The pictures below show where abouts they would be placed. The red line shows where the center console would stop. And in the green circle is the bolt used for the center console to secure it. I will use that to hold down the speaker pod some how.

Im looking for advice on where to start to make the base. A wooden base would be too flat and wouldn't fit too well. And it would be too thick to attach to the bolt. 

Should I make a fiberglass mold of the bottom and build off of that?

Any advice would be appreciated. Already have all the supplies and will have the mdf speaker rings in a few days.

58331344-547C-4F04-8CF6-9A0342EE89B8_1.j

ABCF7A77-7B08-4275-826D-29C38D19332F.jpg

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I think I will be making a fiberglass mold of the bottom, then building off of that. 

Laid down masking tape on the entire area that I will be glassine. Then I'll lay fiberglass over it and cut the mold to the shape I need. Then I will attach my mdf rings, stretch fleece over it, and fiberglass it. Think this will work well? 

Also, should I lay fiberglass on the outside of the fleece and the inside? Or just on the outside? 

IMG_1889.JPG

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

21 minutes ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

So I think I will be making a fiberglass mold of the bottom, then building off of that. 

Laid down masking tape on the entire area that I will be glassine. Then I'll lay fiberglass over it and cut the mold to the shape I need. Then I will attach my mdf rings, stretch fleece over it, and fiberglass it. Think this will work well? 

Also, should I lay fiberglass on the outside of the fleece and the inside? Or just on the outside? 

IMG_1889.JPG

Yep, that's the method you want to use! 

And it will not hurt to put mat over the fleece on the inside (in this application I would) 

Looks like a big enough shape where it would be nice to have a piece of mind about the strength and possible foot contact 

Awesome. Good to hear. I have just been winging it and hoping I'm doing this right. Lol. First time doing it. I think it will turn out pretty nice. I'll be laying down the base fiberglass today.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

16 minutes ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

Awesome. Good to hear. I have just been winging it and hoping I'm doing this right. Lol. First time doing it. I think it will turn out pretty nice. I'll be laying down the base fiberglass today.

good deal man! be sure to update us along the way! 

When I've done anything like this I've just layered chop matt. 

Layer it really thick because when you add fleece to the rings it will pull the base in different ways with the heat from the resign...

At least this has been my experience. Dig in and learn as you go!

1349713160_rte.png

Archived