Second Skin Audio

I am questioning these enclosure specs.

JEFFYBOI

So i picked up this sub today (Atmomic ELE 12.2) and was looking at the manufacturer enclosure specs, what do you think? It says the port and driver displacement is already taken into effect so are they referring to gross cubic ft? I couldn't find the displacement for the sub but i am guessing close to .15 and i calculated the port displacement if i went with the first enclosure spec being 2.5ft3 i calculated it would be roughly 2.25 net which seems like to way to much to me..  Please explain the power ratings if anyone can understand that as well. I am thinking closer to 1.6 cubes net with a 4" aero tuned to about 33-34hz? I am throwing the single sub on a Skar RP2000.1D.. Been awhile since i been active any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

20170104_191618_zpsuvndmmu5.jpg

20170104_191847_zpskrrtby6t.jpg

20170104_192114_zpslbco8i86.jpg

20170104_152315_zpsvb8obasw.jpg

20170104_150649_zpsqisxrqzd.jpg

20170104_150636_zps79k3jiaq.jpg

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

A single 4" port is going to be vastly undersized.  A 6" round port will be the absolute minimum, or a slot port with 32 sq in of port area, this is assuming a 1.6 cu ft box tuned to 34 hz. 2,000 watts in a lot of power into a box that size, you will need as much port area as you can get, and you will still probably have some port noise and port compression.  If you decide to go with a bigger box you will need even more port area.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:49 AM, Triticum Agricolam said:

A single 4" port is going to be vastly undersized.  A 6" round port will be the absolute minimum, or a slot port with 32 sq in of port area, this is assuming a 1.6 cu ft box tuned to 34 hz. 2,000 watts in a lot of power into a box that size, you will need as much port area as you can get, and you will still probably have some port noise and port compression.  If you decide to go with a bigger box you will need even more port area.  

I guess I am trying to find that sweet spot or i am really over thinking this lol. Smaller enclosures I have noticed have more of a tight bass response which is what I like yet I would like to have some good lows. If the enclosure and port is to large i know the power handling suffers and there's not enough damping force or resistance to allow proper control of the woofers cone . I don't want to drive the sub past excursion limits or bottom it out yet if the enclosure or port is to small on that much power I will get port noise. I decided to jump up to 2 cubes net with about 30 sq. in. of port area tuned to around 35. I used a port calc for 2 cubes  tuned to 35 with a 12" driver with 15mm xmax is says 6" aero or 28 sr. in. port area min.. It seems I cant do a enclosure that small and be able to have enough port area for low tuning. I guess we will see how it does. The previous owner of this sub had 2 of them in 3.3 net tuned to 35 with 8" aero and did a 150.5 but i highly doubt he played much for lows. lol

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

7 hours ago, JEFFYBOI said:

I guess I am trying to find that sweet spot or i am really over thinking this lol. Smaller enclosures I have noticed have more of a tight bass response which is what I like yet I would like to have some good lows. If the enclosure and port is to large i know the power handling suffers and there's not enough damping force or resistance to allow proper control of the woofers cone . I don't want to drive the sub past excursion limits or bottom it out yet if the enclosure or port is to small on that much power I will get port noise. I decided to jump up to 2 cubes net with about 30 sq. in. of port area tuned to around 35. I used a port calc for 2 cubes  tuned to 35 with a 12" driver with 15mm xmax is says 6" aero or 28 sr. in. port area min.. It seems I cant do a enclosure that small and be able to have enough port area for low tuning. I guess we will see how it does. The previous owner of this sub had 2 of them in 3.3 net tuned to 35 with 8" aero and did a 150.5 but i highly doubt he played much for lows. lol

Making the box larger does reduce power handling/cone control like you said, but this isn't true with making the port larger.  In fact the opposite is true, making the port too small will reduce cone control.  There really isn't any performance disadvantage to a large port, its only drawbacks are the space it takes up and if it gets too long you can have pipe resonance issues.  

Designing a small box, with low tuning, and high port area can be very difficult indeed.  Often you have to make a compromise somewhere.  Another alternative is to use a t-line.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived