Sonic Electronix

Effect of tweeter on final load

I'm looking to get a pair of the Polk db tweeters and the Polk db coaxial 6.5"s for my Impreza. I have the 6 speaker option that consists of four 6.5"s in the doors and two tweeters in the dash, the front doors and dash tweeters are wired together. What kind of effect can I expect from hooking the 4ohm coaxial and the 4ohm tweeter together (I'm assuming it is wired in parallel but can confirm if it really matters) on the final load seen at the head unit (soon to be a 4ch nvx micro amp) will I be seeing 2ohm or doesn't the tweeter have as big of an impact due to the frequencies it plays/cuts? 

Keep researching and learning about basic speaker functions & crossover points. Basically you cant put a tweeter, mid and sub all on the same ch. Each speaker has its job to do and needs the right frequency to do it properly. All pass signal that a coax can take will kill the tweeter unless it has a crossover to control the signal. HU, amp or passive crossover. 

12 minutes ago, Wehan said:

The tweeters come with a crossover. 

Well did you say that? Your final ohm load will be 2 ohms and as long as your amp is 2 ohm stable it will work.

Why buy coax and an extra tweeter and cause issue? Why not a component set that is designed to work as a unit with a 4 ohm load at all frequencies?

Static drops are my bag.

5 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Why buy coax and an extra tweeter and cause issue? Why not a component set that is designed to work as a unit with a 4 ohm load at all frequencies?

Probably trying to fill all the factory speaker locations.

Because 1: I'm not that dedicated to this install and 2: it's how the factory  upgraded kicker speakers are configured but they cost $250 and the Polk setup is only $160. My next step is to see if the factory upgrades are standard 4 ohm each or if the front coax and tweets are made to have a final load of 4ohm together. If that's the case I might just drop the coin on them and be done with it. 

4 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

Probably trying to fill all the factory speaker locations.

Comp. set is the same number of speakers to fill the holes without the unnecessary extra tweeter in the coax...

Static drops are my bag.

Archived