Sonic Electronix

First "Real" Sub installed...barely any output? Help!!

This is my first install so it might be an easy fix but heres the problem im having. My sub barely has any output. Its a sundown zv5 18 and i have it wired to 1ohm on an SCV2000D in a 7ft net cubic box tuned to 30hz. Also have a 350amp alt installed so Voltage is great yet sub barely has any output no matter how i set my gains. Ive also tried setting the gains with my multimeter by probing the positive and negative speaker wire terminals with the MM reading AC volts and playing a 30hz 0db test tone. One thing that might be causing the problem is that when turning the gain up, a 2000w amp at 1 ohm should have a AC voltage of 44.72 but i max the gain out and im only getting a reading of about 10 volts...is something wrong or am i just reading it wrong? Bare with me this is all new to me. With the gain set about 70% (just to test and not worry about clipping) i turned it up to my headunits unclipped max of 40/50 and the sub doesnt even hit as hard as my SA15 on 450w. It seems to be moving a lot of air on the lower notes but int loud at all. I was thinking maybe my ground was a bad ground...but honestly dont really know where to begin. anyone here wanna help me through this so i can get this monster pounding?!

What are your filters set at? Maybe you forgot the LPF too low or subsonic too high.

What head unit do you have?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

1 hour ago, CstrokerV said:

are you sure you are wired right? .  

You might be at 4 Ohms on that SCV 2000.

Check ALL your filters.

I use the SSF , I leave the LPF wide open on the amp.

On the head unit I set the LPF. Maybe your sub level is way too low on the h u ?

Good luck.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Get an RCA cord that you can plug into your phone to test.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

The heaunit is some single din i got from walmart. nothing special it was like $80. im pretty sure its an alpine and im pretty sure its all wired right. for the sub ive wired the D2 sub positive to positive to the positive amp terminal and negative to negative to negative amp terminal.1_sub_DVC_2_ohm_mono_variation2.jpg

RCAs are brand new...i did run them next to the power wire which ive heard can cause some problems so maybe that? All the EQ settings where set back to flat so i could set my gains properly. But as i stated above when i try to set with a MM im getting a maximum voltage of around 10 volts reading from the 200AC setting when i should be able to set at 44.72 volts

that sonic electronics wiring diagram is a brain fuck!  i have never wired down a sub like that.  took me a solid minute of looking at it to figure out what was going on.

the power wire and rca running next to each other will not cause your issue.  that just causes alternator whine.

Archived