Serious glassing question - can I mold my body easily?

s5300

Hey guys - never really messed with fiberglass before, but I know the general idea.

Anyways, some friends and I have been searching for mannequins for our tac gear a bit now, but can't really find anything.

I thought if we wore old clothes + plastic and everything else necessary, covered our torso in fiberglass, used sunflash, got it off of us by cutting down one side and then patching it up we could make a pretty good form of our body? Then maybe fill it with sprayfoam? 

Am I wrong in thinking this? Any input is greatly appreciated. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SoCaLBaMF said:

Resin gets hot when it starts to cure. Just an FYI

How hot though? Like, enough to burn the body through clothing and an underlayer of plastic? If we can get it just set enough to be able to cut it off quickly and re-form it, it would work fine. 

Hot enough to not want it on me for a longish period of time. Not sure temperature wise though, depends on how strong of sunlight its curing in.

Try it and let me know lol...

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

6 minutes ago, SoCaLBaMF said:

Hot enough to not want it on me for a longish period of time. Not sure temperature wise though, depends on how strong of sunlight its curing in.

Try it and let me know lol...

Don't have the materials yet, inquiring about it first.

I don't know why the hell it's so hard to find torso+legs mannequins. With all of the stores that get liquidated, I'd expect them to be floating everywhere. Cheaply that is. 

2 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

I've had it start to melt a plastic cup before. i imagine it would cause some problems.

So, what if I wrap the fiberglass around me, hit it with something that's not resin, just something to keep its shape (maybe flexseal or some shit) take it off and then resin it? 

2 minutes ago, Skullz said:

Lmfao. Am I going to buy a mannequin or more car audio shit for that price.

Talking like, $20 or less to buy the mannequin outright. They come up on craigslist alot, but usually it's just one and a 1-2 hour drive. Next one I'm def going to grab, but making ones custom of our bodies would be sweet because then we can easily sew new gear for it. 

Fiberglass is not a good option to mold yourself in, i would check older mythbuster episodes and see what they used, i don't recall the material but it does not take long to set up and molds what ever you make perfectly. Now i'm sure it will cost a fair amount to mold your body to make a fiberglass cast from it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived