Second Skin Audio

Best Subwoofer Enclosure for a UTV?!

Alright, I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 I recently bought off craigslist that im re doing just for a "fun" vehicle. Im recently doing a stereo build on this thing that pretty basic, but my question is, what kind of enclosure should I build that will be loud, or heard from an outside standpoint?

Equipment:

- Aftermarket Head Unit

- 132 amp Alternator

- Big 3 upgrade

- 8 JL audio 4" 2 way speakers

- Dual 4 Channel amp for the 2 ways (one I found in my attic)

- HiFonics Brutus BX1205D amp

- 2-12" Alpine Type R (again found in my attic) In a prefab enclosure

- Extra Battery in the back, all 4ga Power Wire

Everything is pretty much "thrown together" and was found the cheapest way possible. I am pretty good with subwoofer enclosures when it comes to making them, so I dont think there will something that will be too difficult. My goal isn't to get these the loudest I can, but more to make them sound good and be HEARD outside. Does anyone have any experience when it comes to this? Like something from a ranger or any other UTV? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

1_zpsqcxwo0im.jpg

2_zpspxsq2tbs.jpg

3_zpsfyynspbj.jpg

4_zpso5wgdcon.jpg

5_zpsgsvwxys0.jpg

6_zpsgrtj68ev.jpg

Looks like a fun ride. How are you going to keep everything dry?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

personally, i would do a bandpass box in it....and aim the ports in a manner they cannot collect water when you hose that beast down.  It is hard to get open air bass no matter what the enclosure....so if i was you i would focus on keeping the equipment safe from the elements.  A nice 4th order will do :)  Down fire if you can.  

Just my opinion if you are asking! 

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Maybe even a woofer with a poly cone.

Pioneer 80PRS

1 hour ago, meade916 said:

personally, i would do a bandpass box in it....and aim the ports in a manner they cannot collect water when you hose that beast down.  It is hard to get open air bass no matter what the enclosure....so if i was you i would focus on keeping the equipment safe from the elements.  A nice 4th order will do :)  Down fire if you can.  

Just my opinion if you are asking! 

Thanks for the reply Steve, I had something of that nature in mind after watching your build for the orange RZR. What I'm thinking is to do is to aim the ports towards the front through the middle seat in the back because I will RARELY have every seat filled in this thing due to the roll cage taking up so much leg room in the back. And I will still make something that can cover the ports for when I hose this down. I also thing a bedliner is the obvious choice for cover on all the enclosures and such.

Thanks again, any input is appreciated!

4 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Looks like a fun ride. How are you going to keep everything dry?

That was going to be my next question to you guys, but here is my thoughts...

For the speaker boxes mounted on the top of the roll cage:

I fiberglassed both of these enclosures, then sprayed them with a "clear flex seal" that is supposed to protect from water damage. Then I sprayed over with 5 coats of gloss black, followed by another 2 coats of clear flex seal. I don't think the box will take on any damage (lets hope).

For the speakers themselves, I am going to try to stay out of the bad weather as much as possible. But for when I do some serious mudding or something like that, I am going to just take these off from the roll cage. With how the roll cage is made, I will be able to make something that is very easily detachable. I also have 2 speakers wired together coming to bolt terminals on each side that will have covers on them from the elements as well. So taking these off wont be more than just a few minutes.

When those are disconnected, I have some old MTX 6x9s mounted under the rear seats, and under driver seat as well as passenger seat. 4 6x9s in total. They're just wired to the head unit so they can play when the other speakers are disconnected. These are something I do not care if they get dirty or whatever because they can EASILY be replaced if need be.

For the "trunk":

Everything will be made, then covered in a box that I will make covered in a more "nice" bedliner. This will house all the Amps, Battery, fuses, and Subs. I dont think this part of the build will be too tricky because if you follow the theme for the majority of this build. I don't have certain space requirements, or anything. So I will simply get everything where I want it, and created a box around it. 

Thanks again guys, any help is very helpful for me. 

Awesome Ride

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

We need to see a video of it in the mud. Lol

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived