XS Power

So a buddy of mine was tired of having a heavy bank of batts in his VW so he decided to go with an xs 36k spl this year.

We hooked up the lithium in the back and also left his d3400 upfront. Went out and tested hoping for some better voltage also.... well it was worse....

We started with clamping the alternator (6 years old and may have needed a refresh) and it was clamping 85 amps with the amp pulling a load.

Messaged Mr. Singer and a few others and he said to go get a load tester and try the test again. 

In the testing we found that the alt was making 85 amps at idle when it was claimed to make 200. Also then we put a load on it and it put out 95 even under a load of 300 amps.

We were ready to pull out the alternator and then someone suggested to disconnect the lithium and try it. We did that and alt was able to put out 175 at idle....

Messaged scotty to see what he thought and he told us to do the same and disconnect the d3400 and see what the alt clamped. Did that and it clamped 175 amps.

So we decided to ditch the d3400 this year but before we pulled it we decided to clamp the run that went from the lithium to the d3400 and we found that under a load the lithium was actually feeding the 3400 before the alternator was. We found the alt was still putting out the 85 amps but the lithium was pushing amperage to the d3400 (120 amps of current) 

Anyone have a good explanation for this? Just trying to gain some knowlede. We plan on pulling d3400 and putting it in my truck and put a bank or 2 of caps in a d3400 case up front in the engine bay in his car 

1349713160_rte.png

31 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

What was your voltage like at all this  testing? Is it down? 

Originally he had 2 xp3000s off of a sundown 6k and was seeing 12.4 full tilt

with the d3400 hooked up and the lithium he was seeing 11.5 full tilt.

we are going to test this weekend with no d3400 just the lithium

1349713160_rte.png

hunter had a similar result when he added his winston. his front batt was outputting 80a while his winston was outputting ~800a. due to the agm's lower resting voltage, it would drain the lith when the car was off, so there was no reason to keep the batt up front. he wound up bypassing it. its been like 3 months, no issues. 

as far as the alt not outputting full power under load, i cant help ya. as much as scottie hates his guts, this may be a question for someone like Travis Young of JY.

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Lithium and lead/acid are going to have different resting/usable voltages. Based on what you described I suspect the lithium rests a bit higher than the d3400

Where are you load testing/reading voltage from?

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Where are you load testing/reading voltage from?

bend over.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

IN4 Wisdom.........

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

16 hours ago, hdorre said:

hunter had a similar result when he added his winston. his front batt was outputting 80a while his winston was outputting ~800a. due to the agm's lower resting voltage, it would drain the lith when the car was off, so there was no reason to keep the batt up front. he wound up bypassing it. its been like 3 months, no issues. 

as far as the alt not outputting full power under load, i cant help ya. as much as scottie hates his guts, this may be a question for someone like Travis Young of JY.

We isolated batteries so that his lithium would only be connected to battery system when car was turned on. This is done to help the battery resting voltage. Didn't wanna drain the lithium down to 12.8 when its happiest at 13.4

1349713160_rte.png