Sonic Electronix

I think a lot of people forget just how much cone excursion matters in a situation like this. Think of the cone as a cylinder instead of a flat surface, diameter x xmax. Now instead of surface area you get volume, that is the amount of air the cone moves in a single stroke. Now double the power and you can move that air with that much more force. It's the same situation Gunnem described. However I also agree with ShadeTree, putting those 2 12s in a custom box on the 1200 watt amp will basically be doing the same thing but with efficiency and force instead of air movement. Plus you wouldn't need to drop $1200 or whatever on a new sub.

The JL W0 is rated 150rms per woofer (300 total) so im already overpowering them with a 500watt amp

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

A few years back my local JL dealer let me listen to the subs in my car, so we took them out of the store and tossed them in my trunk to test them out. The W0 12's were excellent subs for the power they use. My personal opinion was the W7 13.5 in their custom red eye box sounded cleaner and louder than the pair of W0's in the powerwedge box and the W7. The big deal here is the power output is also going to be over double... so that's something to also consider in the comparison. If you have a JL dealer that is wanting your business, they might do the same for you.

17 hours ago, RainStryke said:

A few years back my local JL dealer let me listen to the subs in my car, so we took them out of the store and tossed them in my trunk to test them out. The W0 12's were excellent subs for the power they use. My personal opinion was the W7 13.5 in their custom red eye box sounded cleaner and louder than the pair of W0's in the powerwedge box and the W7. The big deal here is the power output is also going to be over double... so that's something to also consider in the comparison. If you have a JL dealer that is wanting your business, they might do the same for you.

So you think its worth going to the 13 w7 on a 1200HD or should I just do 2 12s on it?

I'd rather have a 13.5 W7 over a pair of SA-12's between those choices. Personally I'd also consider a Sundown Audio Xv2 15 paired with the Rockford Fosgate T1500 over the W7 and the slash. But what it really comes down to is what YOU want. If you like JL and want their flagship, I'd go for it.

Take a look t the 15" DSS ethos sub. It sounds good, and can be loud in a 3cu ft box. 

A new box for your current subs may be the cheapest choice, but you want to save space...

Small box and big output ? Hard to do, but possible.

Good luck.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

13 hours ago, RainStryke said:

I'd rather have a 13.5 W7 over a pair of SA-12's between those choices. Personally I'd also consider a Sundown Audio Xv2 15 paired with the Rockford Fosgate T1500 over the W7 and the slash. But what it really comes down to is what YOU want. If you like JL and want their flagship, I'd go for it.

The 15" Sundown X box would be too big for me right?

On 1/21/2017 at 0:16 AM, Daddy_ said:

The JL W0 is rated 150rms per woofer (300 total) so im already overpowering them with a 500watt amp

The problem here is you're assuming you were actually getting 500w out of that amp and your electrical.  If it were my car then I'd build a box that suited my space and tuning needs,  then go for more power. If you really want to run a single sub,  look into 15's that can can take a little power, maybe a fully loaded FI Ssd on 2k with an aditional rear battery? For the money,  JL subs never looked like a deal to me. 

Like everyone else has suggested, I would recommend building a new box for the 12's. You'd be amazed at what the box can actually do. If you're still not satisfied, maybe try upgrading the amp. Still not then get a bigger sub that can handle the new amp.

I will reiterate what i said earlier, get a pair of 12w3's on the hd1200.

Those subs have been around 20+ years for a reason, they sound really damn good and can do exactly what you want without breaking the bank like a w7 will.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived