Second Skin Audio

Kerf port question

jessdabest77

I'm about to build a ported box for two 12" Sundown SA's and was wondering if there's any difference in a kerfed port to a regular slot port with a roundover? I knew they look nice but is that all it's for or does it perform better? Regular slor port or kerf port will have 45's,bracing,and be double baffeled,thank's in advanced.

A kerf port will always give you better air flow and performance over 45 degree corner. How much performance tho really depends on the specific application. In your case i don't really think it would make that much of a difference being as it's a fairly low power application.

Also take into consideration that the majority of your kerf is not counted as port length, and that the kerf will take up more volume inside the box volume compared to a slot port (even more volume if you put a giant 45 behind it on the inside of the box).
So be sure to calculate those things.
Realistically speaking in a musical application you wont be able to tell the difference between a kerfed port or a traditional slotted port.

Archived