Evga step-up program

Okay so I have an EVGA gtx 1070 ftw graphics card. I can step up to a gtx 1080, but they don't offer an ftw edition or any kind of special edition cards. Just the base model 1080s. The one I'm looking at is part number: 08G-P4-6181-KR. Would it be worth it to step up to that?

The increase in performance is very minimal. Core and memory speeds are pretty much Identical, only real different is one variable and it's not a huge jump either. The 1080 is just a little more power efficient. That's about it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Yeah, EVGA's step-up program only lets you step-up to a vanilla card. Only in very rare cases do they allow customers to get a overclocked variant of the card and it's usually to smooth things out when they had some kind of shortcoming on a release. I wouldn't really worry about it anyway... ever since they added boost clocks to the video cards, they auto clock as high as they can handle, based on their silicon quality (ASIC.) It's really just luck of the draw, you could get a vanilla card that clocks way higher the FTW overclocked variant of the card... Sometimes you can get a FTW variant of the card and find it's not stable because the GPU can't handle the factory overclock, due to it being a lower quality batch of GPU's that are only capable of being stable at stock speeds.

Worth is subjective... If you are trying to get the highest frames because you have a high refresh rate monitor or you want to run your games at 4K... Then yes, I'd say it's worth it, cause you need every bit of extra performance to achieve goals like that.

Here is a good review to give you an idea of what kind of upgrade you will be getting if you take that route:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_quick_silver_8g_oc_review,13.html

The GTX 1080 is 15-20% faster than the GTX 1070.

If you are going to use the step up program at least wait for the 1080Ti which seems to be on hold until the amd vega crap releases (that is if its not out of the 90day time period since you bought your card).

Also check out what the going rate for your card is on ebay and computer forums, often times you will be able to sell it for more than what is given to you in credit towards the step up

Archived