Second Skin Audio

FI vs Ascendant

bigmacjack

43 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Also, neo does nothing for performance. Your triple stack mayhem has more BL than anything neo made from Fi,.. just sayin. I'm lost why people think neo is all that. It saves weight,  but cost more. Lost why people think It would give you more thermal cap, or any other performance help. 

also it looks like the btl neo has more bl then the mayhem 
http://ascendantaudio.com/products/mayhem/

http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/btl-series-btl-neo15/

BL by itself doesn't really tell you anything, there are other more important specs.  

Like others have said, they are both come out of the same building and build quality should be the same.  If you are happy with your current Mayhem there really isn't going to be much to gain from switching.  

Neo subs tend to have a more open design around the coil, which certainly should help for heat dissipation.  However the neo magnets themselves do NOT like to be heated.  My understanding is that neo magnets will permanently lose their magnetism at a much lower temp than ferrite magnets do.  I don't know enough to be able to tell you if this will ever be a problem under real world use, but the potential is at least there.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

27 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

BL by itself doesn't really tell you anything, there are other more important specs.  

Like others have said, they are both come out of the same building and build quality should be the same.  If you are happy with your current Mayhem there really isn't going to be much to gain from switching.  

Neo subs tend to have a more open design around the coil, which certainly should help for heat dissipation.  However the neo magnets themselves do NOT like to be heated.  My understanding is that neo magnets will permanently lose their magnetism at a much lower temp than ferrite magnets do.  I don't know enough to be able to tell you if this will ever be a problem under real world use, but the potential is at least there.  

Thanks for the info! I love asking questions here because I get real answers!

If you do get another Mayhem 15 and are planning to put it in the same box as the other one make sure that you get the same model with the same Thiel/Small parameters. They tweaked the design in 2015 and the parameters changed. They are about to change the design again. Even if they have the same box size and tuning requirements, drivers with different TSP's should not share an enclosure. 

14 hours ago, Knocker said:

If you do get another Mayhem 15 and are planning to put it in the same box as the other one make sure that you get the same model with the same Thiel/Small parameters. They tweaked the design in 2015 and the parameters changed. They are about to change the design again. Even if they have the same box size and tuning requirements, drivers with different TSP's should not share an enclosure. 

I believe I got mine in the beginning of 2016? but i'm not sure what i'm going to do now, because the store I work for is looking to stock a new brand. so i'm gonna wait and see what I get dealer cost on first before I make any decisions 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2017 at 0:16 PM, Kyblack76 said:

Also, neo does nothing for performance. Your triple stack mayhem has more BL than anything neo made from Fi,.. just sayin. I'm lost why people think neo is all that. It saves weight,  but cost more. Lost why people think It would give you more thermal cap, or any other performance help. 

At the moment, a neo sub is at the top of the leader board over at data-bass.com

Neodymium has a bunch of advantages:

1) dramatically lower weight
2) neodymium makes certain motor topologies possible, which would otherwise be impossible

For the most part, neodymium has replaced ferrite in the pro sound world. True, there's lots of cheap prosound speakers that are still ferrite, but most of the best gear is neo now. Open up any modern JBL cabinet and all you're going to see is neodymium motors.

M2-Gallery-Large-003.jpg

Archived