Help with HU mount/Tablet mount

Kraken

Ive got a Samsung tab 4. I'd love to put it in my dash, and i know it will fit, it will take about 4mm of cutting on the dash, I can build some kind of bracket for it. Thats not necessarily the issue. I have an alpine 1din HU, and this tablet will just run the music, not put it to the speakers, it will connect via bluetooth to the HU. Is there any way I can fit the HU where the factory cassette player is? I know it will take a lot of opening a hole for it, but im not sure depth wise if it will fit. If you guys know of a better place to mount the HU, that would be great, or even a better place for the tablet, that would work too. Id prefer the tablet to be a part of the dash/console, just not on a stand or a suction cup mount. Any ideas will help, so dont be afraid to tell me what youre thinking on it.

Thanks in advance for any help, its appreciated.  

Alpine cde143bt/ Alpine ktp445u (4x45 amp)

2 Crescendo STS 1 (on alpine 4x45 on 2 channel mode)

4 Crescendo pwx 6.5's in front doors (Skar RP150.4)

1 Sundown zv3 12, SAE1500D.

Box is 2.5 cubes tuned to 30hz.

5 hours ago, reedal said:

Take the factory player out and see if it fits..

The factory cassette player is much smaller than the alpine HU, I know it would take cutting. I just need a different place to put the HU since the tablet is going to be where the HU is now, in place of the factory HU. I just thought of the cassette player space, but im not sure if that would work.

Take a picture of your dash for us to eyeball possible locations. Also, what vehicle are you working with. You didn't mention it. 

Look at how Meade did his. He made his work. What's your dash look like and where you want to put it

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

1 hour ago, reedal said:

Take a picture of your dash for us to eyeball possible locations. Also, what vehicle are you working with. You didn't mention it. 

Ill take a pic when I get home from school. Its an 02 chevy 1500 ext cab

57 minutes ago, n8ball2013 said:

Look at how Meade did his. He made his work. What's your dash look like and where you want to put it

I saw his design, I liked it... I want the tablet to mount where the factory HU was, its an alpine 1din now, I just need a place to put the HU once I put the tablet in the dash.

You may run into anther issue of getting the wire harness to the new location as well .  You won't know until you start pulling it apart. Unless someone here has done it already. 

8 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Ill take a pic when I get home from school. Its an 02 chevy 1500 ext cab

:)

you should have no problem cutting out the space needed for the head unit where the tape player is as long as you take your time, and don't mind a little body work once you get the shape/size you need. My suggesting is to cut out the space needed for the lip of the HU cage that holds it in place, and no more. You should be able to slide the cage into the hole from the front and the lip catch on your template. Once you put the cage in place, make sure to bend the locking tabs into place and do a test fit. It will be easiest if you buy a trim panel to test fit/practice on first. You can find them easily on eBay, or gmpartsdirect.com, or other GM parts websites. 

Measure four times and cut once, and always cut on the smaller side of your outline. You can shave/sand off any extra you need, but once it's gone you can't put it back.

1 hour ago, reedal said:

:)

you should have no problem cutting out the space needed for the head unit where the tape player is as long as you take your time, and don't mind a little body work once you get the shape/size you need. My suggesting is to cut out the space needed for the lip of the HU cage that holds it in place, and no more. You should be able to slide the cage into the hole from the front and the lip catch on your template. Once you put the cage in place, make sure to bend the locking tabs into place and do a test fit. It will be easiest if you buy a trim panel to test fit/practice on first. You can find them easily on eBay, or gmpartsdirect.com, or other GM parts websites. 

Measure four times and cut once, and always cut on the smaller side of your outline. You can shave/sand off any extra you need, but once it's gone you can't put it back.

Will I need some kind of bracket, or will I be able to use the one that makes it fit in my dash? Still in school, I get home around 5, Ill put a picture in then.

You may be able to use the one that makes it fit in the OE spot, or you may need to get creative and fab your own using pieces of ABS and some plastic welder epoxy. If that's the case, it'd be best to mock it up with cardboard and tape first to know what you'd need to do first, before you start cutting any ABS.

instead of going through the trouble of trying to relocate your HU, why not just fab the dash to hold the tablet, but make the tablet holder have an open back so you can leave your HU in its current spot. That seems like it would be much easier to me.

Archived