Engine Sludge? 1999 Camry XLE v6 with less than 80k miles on it... what do I do?

Hmm. There seems to be a lot of sludge coming out of my 1999 Camry XLE V6 engine and it only has 80k miles on it. The oil gets changed regularly also. What do I do?

1999-camry-xle-v6-engine-sludge-70k-mile

1999-camry-xle-v6-engine-sludge-75k-mile

There's also sludge coming to the left of the engine but can't see it in this pic...

How bad is this???

Help please!

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like some pretty good oil leaks

The one at the top appears to be the valve cover gasket. It's a rubber seal, doesn't last forever. Fairly easy to do if you want to DIY, or relatively inexpensive if you take it somewhere. On the side, it's difficult to tell without seeing it more in person. Regardless, I'd do the valve cover gasket. Oil dripping onto the exhaust is a fire hazard. It doesn't happen often, but it can ignite. That and it just smells terrible

And now that I think about it... 1999, even though it's only 80k. Ever had the timing belt done?

4 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

And now that I think about it... 1999, even though it's only 80k. Ever had the timing belt done?

I've never had the timing belt done. I've only done my alt belt when I got the Singer Alt in 2012.

Valve gasket? is that on the left somewhere?? I hope my engine is not f*cked.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

It's on top. One one forward, one rearward. It connects that shiny metal lid to the rest of the engine. Between the two pieces is a seal that leaks oil. With leaks, it becomes even more important to periodically check and top off you oil. I check mine about every 1000, but I also know it's consumption patterns. IMO, start by checking it every time you fill up for gas. If it's at the low mark, add a quart. If it's between the two lines, continue on your merry way.

As to the timing belt: It's an essential piece for your engine to run. It controls the alignment of internal mechanical parts  relative to one another. It's a wear item that generally needs to be replaced around every 100,000 miles(check your manual for specifics). But given that your car is 18 years old, I'd at least get it checked. Even though it doesn't need it by mileage, the materials degrade over time. If it breaks or skips a tooth or the tensioner fails, it can ruin your engine(not trying to scare you, rather educate). 

It's failry in depth, not one for the DIYer unless you're experienced. Expect it to run about a grand give or take about $300. Gotta weigh those options yourself and how long you plan on keeping the car.

I noticed your location is in the northwest. If you're near the Bellevue area, I can refer you to my old shop. The salesman can be a shithead (I'm convinced he as high functioning autism or aspergers)  but the mechanic there is a good dude. He won't jerk you around. 

Or if you happen to be in the pullman/moscow area I could take a peek personally, though I wouldn't be able to help with much as I don't have the bulk of my tools. Just a few odds and ends for emergencies. 

So if I replace my valve gasket i'd have to do all of this? Would the Water Pump need a replacement too?

Hmm. I live in the Portland Oregon area. Know of any reputable Mechanic Shops here?

Can't say I do man sorry. I don't often venture to Oregon.

Yeah that looks about right for a valve cover gasket job. You'd do your water pump as part of the timing belt job. If you decide to do the valve cover gasket DIY, I'd inspect all of your softlines going to it, make sure they're not brittle. Over time they turn from supple rubber into a hard plastic feeling material and can't be removed without breaking.

9 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Can't say I do man sorry. I don't often venture to Oregon.

Yeah that looks about right for a valve cover gasket job. You'd do your water pump as part of the timing belt job. If you decide to do the valve cover gasket DIY, I'd inspect all of your softlines going to it, make sure they're not brittle. Over time they turn from supple rubber into a hard plastic feeling material and can't be removed without breaking.

I've talk to some people and think I've found a good mechanic place to get all this done.  Gonna check with the Toyota Dealer first to have them do an inspection and get a quote and then go to another mechanic shop to see how much they charge. I normally stay away from dealers because I've heard of them jacking up the price way high and do halfass job. Hopefully the mechanic I try out is good; I might see if he can build me a dual alternator bracket so I can do two Singer Alts this Summer ~_~

6 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

I've talk to some people and think I've found a good mechanic place to get all this done.  Gonna check with the Toyota Dealer first to have them do an inspection and get a quote and then go to another mechanic shop to see how much they charge. I normally stay away from dealers because I've heard of them jacking up the price way high and do halfass job. Hopefully the mechanic I try out is good; I might see if he can build me a dual alternator bracket so I can do two Singer Alts this Summer ~_~

Might want to find a fab shop for the bracket. Dealer techs (most auto techs for that matter) aren't fabricators. Especially here on the west coast, most folks don't have the welders/cutters/torches necessary to build something like that. East coast is a little different since they often have to do rust repair, but that's not the case here.

Want to prevent a halfass job? Go make friends with the mechanic who's working on your car. Not the salesperson, but the mechanic. They rarely if ever get a chance to interact with you as a customer, you're faceless. Go bring the man a coffee or some donuts or something. 95% of the time, they're paid by the job, not by how long it takes them. There's a big incentive to do things faster, not better. A good relationship with your tech does wonders. Go make friends, make them want to help you, not chase the paycheck. 

11 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Might want to find a fab shop for the bracket. Dealer techs (most auto techs for that matter) aren't fabricators. Especially here on the west coast, most folks don't have the welders/cutters/torches necessary to build something like that. East coast is a little different since they often have to do rust repair, but that's not the case here.

Want to prevent a halfass job? Go make friends with the mechanic who's working on your car. Not the salesperson, but the mechanic. They rarely if ever get a chance to interact with you as a customer, you're faceless. Go bring the man a coffee or some donuts or something. 95% of the time, they're paid by the job, not by how long it takes them. There's a big incentive to do things faster, not better. A good relationship with your tech does wonders. Go make friends, make them want to help you, not chase the paycheck. 

The Mechanic that I'm thinking about working with is like 60 years old though and his name is Bob ~_~. For someone that old and still working, I think I can have faith in him doing a good job because he obviously probably enjoy doing what he does.

I think it's a small family owned shop so I'm sure they put pride into their work.

Archived