02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night) Mechman, Neo Slow

Well I cut myself some deadener it was supposed to be two pieces but I kinda broke the one for the back. I'm doing Vibraflex from the B-Pillar forward and the MDF to the rear. I need to get some PL Premium to secure it to the roof. Figured it would work better than deadener,  as it's dense heavy and not very flexible plus it's cheap. I want to utilize my headliner in the front though keep a clean factory look. 
20170122_143224_zps48x9icn8.jpg

Attached wood to the roof over the span of a couple days. I put the first piece up Monday and let it cure the full 24 hours to make sure it would stay stuck on. Attaching it to the roof by myself wasn't too bad probably because the pieces weren't huge. Used a full tube of PL premium on each piece figured it would be sufficient. 

I might not have many friends but I have jacks and they're helpful and don't complain. Test fitting the first piece basically I just screwed everything together and it made it pretty easy to just guide into place.

20170123_143849_zpsjspbfthq.jpg

This is the second piece I put up, the spots that don't have any adhesive are where the ribs in the roof are so the wood doesn't make contact there.

20170124_172617_zpsoxlxvosr.jpg

When I put up the second piece it didn't want to stick on the outside edges as well I think it's because the strips holding everything up didn't have enough pressure. Good thing we have a couple jacks at the house.

20170125_111605_zpsnnzukalv.jpg

The back one that's already cured feels very solid. I'm thinking about doing some spray foam around the perimeter of the roof where you see the holes above the windows in the last picture. Not sure if it would be of any benefit but I only want to do all this once.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I worked on the Jeep pretty much all afternoon & evening USPS brought my Vibraflex and the evap cooler. I did the deadener first so it would have more time to stick and be warm. We have a radiant heater in the garage so it's like the sun beating on the roof. I barely had to use a heat gun, I left a spot in the center where I'm sure I'll have to weld a windshield brace. I need to get some spray foam on the roof B-Pillar brace it's not even attached.

20170126_120832_zpsvdq3blar.jpg
20170126_143237_zpsd0cef5bh.jpg

Radiant heat:

20170126_143259_zpsjfcvirvs.jpg

She's solid:

20170126_143344_zpsyfp6t8vk.jpg

Phase two was the more in depth project. Pulled the dash to replace the heater core, heater hoses, evap core, blend doors, and blend door actuator. I also moved the passenger side actuator to the recirculation door as the new blend door I put in made it useless. So now my heat now works great which is much needed.

Dash out:

20170126_183516_zpsbt1bite9.jpg

Heater box out:

20170126_183532_zpskvgbws6h.jpg

Old heater core next to new the evap core was full of dust and crap too:
20170126_180309_zpsn4sre5nm.jpg

Well I piddled around with my build a bit, really didn't have much I can do with what I have.

I started out by doing some foam around the edges of the roof and the B-Pillar roof brace. Much improvement on the brace as it's now actually stuck to the roof, don't know if all the other foam was necessary as it's pretty sturdy already but it can't hurt I guess. I didn't do the very back because there's bolts for the hatch and stuff that I don't want to lose access to.
20170128_132756_zpsneasdneq.jpg
All cured and trimmed:
20170128_194123_zpslndy3fvw.jpg

Next I took the stock alt off to see how I was going to do my dual alt setup. I plan to mount the top of the top alt to the top of the stock bracket and then flip the bottom alt and mount the bottom to the bottom of the stock bracket. Then I'll attach the two together and mount an idler. The top tap of the bottom alt will be attached to the frame. Overall it should be pretty simple (I hope).

20170128_125039_zpsjirp7j2b.jpg
20170128_125308_zpsmci7ax1w.jpg

I also got my battery terminals on and freed up the stock wiring. They had it all attached together so it was just a stiff pain in the ass. I separated everything and tucked the extra up under the tray. I could of used smaller lugs but they were the only ones I had so it'll work. Also you can see in this picture that I got the fuse holder temporarily in place just for a picture.

20170128_191032_zpsqg6ajolz.jpg

Traced a hole for where I plan to drill through the firewall this is a 4" I have a 3" hole saw as well. Planning on 8-10 runs not sure which size I'll need but that's the best place I can utilize.

20170128_194222_zpsxcykqb7d.jpg

Lastly made a plate for my external regulator and hopefully my relay for the external regulator to sit on as well plan to paint it come warmer weather.

20170128_184735_zpsaczw784b.jpg20170128_175304_zpsl50vcfqq.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how thing's are shaping up so far, it's going to be pretty full under the hood when it's all said and done. 

In trending with the small updates I did a couple small things. Cut the headliner using a razor blade and cut the foam with a hack saw. Then I took off the factory fabric and wrapped it in suede. It didn't turn out perfect but I really like it looks way better than the factory crap.

Additionally I couldn't believe the cost that popular places charge for heat shrink just because it has a label on it. I got 100 pieces for like 13 bucks on eBay. I'm pretty sure this guy can print things on them as well, he also has other colors as well. Looks good and works just like it should, these are for the big 3. 

20170129_121348_zpswbluuan7.jpg

You can't really tell it's suede in this picture the light kind of washes it out.
20170129_121416_zpsjeoexxxs.jpg

Little better picture you can see some small wrinkles but like I said it's not perfect.
20170202_102506_zpsol8txtpf.jpg

20170202_122640_zpsvh6bagn5.jpg
20170202_185127_zpsqmefyfbt.jpg

Oh one last picture I got these in the other day I think they're really awesome 2 thumbs up on these. 

20170203_153133_zps18zqzrjm.jpg

8 minutes ago, reedal said:

Good work on those motors :good:

Thanks they were quite the project it helped that someone else had done some before me. The build log is now caught up to speed with where I currently am. Really fighting the urge to buy myself a welder and the steel for the cage. The problem is the welder I want is $1200 without the tig torch. I have a welding background kind of so I want something that I know will last and suit whatever needs I may have. I've been searching Facebook and Craigslist for something to tide me over but most of the things that come up are junk.

Your putting in work man! Those motors look sick!!

Love a jeep build. Im also liking your radiat setup, must be nice and toasty!

Also where did you get the packs of heatshrink? I hate cutting mine to length every time I buy a roll lol 

37 minutes ago, bsneon98 said:

Your putting in work man! Those motors look sick!!

Love a jeep build. Im also liking your radiat setup, must be nice and toasty!

Also where did you get the packs of heatshrink? I hate cutting mine to length every time I buy a roll lol 

Thanks man, the heat is working well now wasn't too terrible of a job. I posted a link for the heat shrink eBay store below he has a lot of different options.

http://stores.ebay.com/FlexR-LLC

11 hours ago, nkrell11 said:

Thanks man, the heat is working well now wasn't too terrible of a job. I posted a link for the heat shrink eBay store below he has a lot of different options.

http://stores.ebay.com/FlexR-LLC

thanks man! tuned in on this one! 

4 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

thanks man! tuned in on this one! 

No problem when I find good deals I usually try and pass them on to other people.

1 hour ago, 2loud4uboyz said:

Dang man this is a dope thread.  Keep up the awesome stuff dude.  I was wow through the whole thread.  You have skills.  Also this is why I'm a member here.  Threads like this. Dang just build you own neo subs.

Thanks man, for me building is usually the most enjoyable part of the whole process so I try to pay attention to details.

I checked my bank account and I believe I can afford a welder and all the necessities for my steel cage so I might be opening up my wallet for that stuff this week.

Archived