02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night) Mechman, Neo Slow

Damn dude, those rear fan baffles look badass.  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After I had a semi drunken epiphany last night I spent most of my morning trying to figure out how I'm going to run this dual alt setup. What I came up with I think is a really solid concept. I had to order a slightly larger belt (hopefully the right length) and a smaller idler pulley so I'm not going to post any pictures today. The AC compressor will be staying in place but my serpentine belt will bypass it so it won't be functional. I don't need AC it probably doesn't work anyways, plus it would have been a royal pain to remove all of that crap. Stay tuned I think it will be awesome and people will like it.

Well I don't know what to do with all my build logs now. As you can see photobucket has decided to be a bunch of assholes and try and squeeze me for some money. For my pictures to show up they want $400 annually and that's not happening, I don't like just sharing the links because then you have to go back and forth plus it's not like I want to go back and edit every post I've made with pictures in it. So I'm kind of at a loss sad day.

Same @nkrell11

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Well here's what we will do this is a link to the build log album on Photobucket http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/nkrell11/library/The Jeep Build*everything done will be uploaded here. I will switch to Flickr for everything from here on out.

The dual alt setup is on I haven't wired up the transpo or anything but I did hook up the factory connections to test that everything would spin. All I needed was a slightly smaller idler pulley and a slightly longer belt as I bypassed my AC. I ordered a belt that was too long the first time but the second one I ordered fit like a glove. For anyone wanting to do what I did the parts I purchased were a Continental Elite 4060887 and a Dayco 89175.

So if you guys remember correctly I bought a used stock alt bracket and was going to use it to locate an alt where my AC was. Well I scrapped that idea as it was going to be a pita but I did still use the bracket. After some heavy modifications this is what was left of it. 
34828279174_5874d893e2_k.jpg

34860329163_0f34519599_k.jpg

For some reason the paint didn't cure well even though it sat for 24 hours at least, but I wasn't going to take it back out to repaint it.
35282346790_df0c0d77ce_k.jpg

35629732516_adc47b8dbd_k.jpg

Oh also I chose to bypass the AC as it was easier and I don't really need it. Also it made it easier to guess the belt size I'd need.
35669456375_21fa8fc196_k.jpg

Yeah man the photobucket thing is a bummer. Theres no easy way to replace pasted links in forums and such. Im still tuned in though!

Im gonna be adding some strategically placed foam in my car soon, so i'll be referencing your photobucket pics this week. The way you sealed your side panels to the rear doors is clutch. Does the masking tape pull away from the foam easily or was there some finesse work involved?

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

2 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

Yeah man the photobucket thing is a bummer. Theres no easy way to replace pasted links in forums and such. Im still tuned in though!

Im gonna be adding some strategically placed foam in my car soon, so i'll be referencing your photobucket pics this week. The way you sealed your side panels to the rear doors is clutch. Does the masking tape pull away from the foam easily or was there some finesse work involved?

I thought it pulled off pretty easily, however I know some little pieces got stuck on I think it depends on how well the foam contours etc. It really shouldn't be bad at all, what did get stuck I removed with a razor blade to peel up a little edge to pull the piece off.

• 4 weeks later...

Warning this post is likely to be long winded for the small amount of progress that has been made, consider yourselves forewarned.

So the jeep has been pretty neglected for the last month, basically it comes down to not being motivated to work on it after work and doing other things on the weekends. Ive actually done a small amount the last couple of nights. However things seem to be one step forwards and ten steps backwards. So after getting the dual alts installed I made a bracket to hold my regulator, relay and fuse holder the flimsy piece of sheet metal wasn't going to cut it. Got it wired and installed couldn't get regulator to work. Luckily it was an easy fix. Then things went downhill fast I plugged the factory alt plug into the bottom alt for temporary purposes and it started smoking. On top of that after I got it unplugged my Jeep wouldn't start it would crank and crank but not start. Luckily tonight I pulled all the fuses under the hood and found that my injector fuse was blown so the Jeep runs again I got super lucky there. However my bottom alt is now not charging so I have to take it off and send it in to Mechman to have them look at it. Thinking I will send both of them just in case as I don't want to have any more problems. I plan to still work on the Jeep with the alts off but I probably won't be making leaps and bounds, thanks for checking in.

Also for the record I don't know if one of the alts was bad when I got them used or if something happened to it while it sat on the shelf but obviously something was wrong with it don't want to blame anyone and don't know so it is what it is, hopefully the repairs are cheap.

Stand for stuff.

35159574273_c4a5138f68_b.jpg

35580604560_82a0501f04_b.jpg

Lot of wire in a small space, basically how everything will look, needs a little tidying up but you get the idea.

36147799006_6be361de11_b.jpg

Alright so more updates made a little progress this weekend, all my 2/0 is ran and secured, relays are all wired and the fans are up and running, speaker wires and RCA's are ran, toggle switches for VC1 and volt meter are wired up, amps are mounted, alts are removed and packaged to ship back to Mechman and I think that's about it. I will say this build definitely has the most wiring out of anything I've ever dealt with. More updates soon I hope, hopefully Mechman doesn't charge too much for repairs.

I modified the seat brace so that the wires could run through and hopefully not mess up the carpet so bad.

35374872854_3e9f13357e_b.jpg

35406011583_45d396c9e1_b.jpg

36210204196_eda9c9eb3a_b.jpg

35442712414_8a3611ccb3_b.jpg

Money shot....

36142814351_0d28f656f2_b.jpg

Archived