Second Skin Audio

Subs towards rear trunk of Camry

moh.vze.com

Sup guys, I took out all of my car audio stuff from my car so I can redo some wiring and cleaning up my build. This time around I'm thinking about having my subs fired towards the rear trunk instead of having it fired into the cabin walled off with second skin sound deadening.

This was what I had before (but if you look closely, there might be some weird sound cancellation going on because the top and side metal panels block a portion of the subs:

dc_audio_xlm2_cabin.jpg

and I had my amp mounted towards the back of the box in the trunk:
third-battery-done.jpg

second-skin-damp-pro-rear-deck-1.jpg

This time around, I'm thinkinking about firing towards the rear and removing my rear deck speakers so SPL can travel through.

sub-towards-rear-trunk-1.jpg

sub-towards-rear-trunk-2.jpg

sub-towards-rear-trunk-3.jpg

sub-towards-rear-trunk-4.jpg

DC5K Amp will be mounted to back of box:

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-1.jpg

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-2.jpg

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-3.jpg

Box sitting on top of an MDF piece not bolted down anywhere:

camry-trunk-space-1.jpg

camry-trunk-space-2.jpg

I saw another 1999 Camry owner on CarAudio.com firing his subs towards the rear so I figured it might sound louder for this type of vehicle:
26555926d1486697664-my-stereo-dropped-re

His box is a lot bigger though. He only pushing 4,000 watts

So, what are you guys thoughts on this?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Just now, strangeduck said:

Not sure, my corolla is forward firing, I'm going to experiment this week weather permitting. Some cars are weird like that.

Cool! Let me know how it goes.

I remember back in the day when I ran 1200W RMS off my Elemental Designs eD13OV.2's, firing the subs towards the rear had a nicer kick and sounded louder.

DC-XLM2_eD-13OV_1.JPG

image027-1.jpg

But then again, it was not a high powered system.

I'm not putting my system back in for another month so anyone here who are trunk experts let me know which way you have your subs firing in your vehicle.

Also, my Camry has a sunroof and it flexes like mad when I have it fired towards the cabin and that might also be why it doesn't sound as loud for me.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

4 hours ago, moh.vze.com said:

Sup guys, I took out all of my car audio stuff from my car so I can redo some wiring and cleaning up my build. This time around I'm thinking about having my subs fired towards the rear trunk instead of having it fired into the cabin walled off with second skin sound deadening.

This was what I had before (but if you look closely, there might be some weird sound cancellation going on because the top and side metal panels block a portion of the subs:

dc_audio_xlm2_cabin.jpg

and I had my amp mounted towards the back of the box in the trunk:
third-battery-done.jpg

second-skin-damp-pro-rear-deck-1.jpg

This time around, I'm thinkinking about firing towards the rear and removing my rear deck speakers so SPL can travel through.

sub-towards-rear-trunk-1.jpg

sub-towards-rear-trunk-2.jpg

sub-towards-rear-trunk-4.jpg

DC5K Amp will be mounted to back of box:

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-1.jpg

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-2.jpg

dc5k-on-back-of-box-back-seat-3.jpg

Box sitting on top of an MDF piece not bolted down anywhere:

camry-trunk-space-1.jpg

camry-trunk-space-2.jpg

I saw another 1999 Camry owner on CarAudio.com firing his subs towards the rear so I figured it might sound louder for this type of vehicle:
26555926d1486697664-my-stereo-dropped-re

His box is a lot bigger though. He only pushing 4,000 watts

So, what are you guys thoughts on this?

I have had subs in three Toyota Camry's now and tried aiming the subs every direction possible (15" subs only though). The two loudest configurations I have found to work for me, was subs facing straight up, port facing back toward the lid and the absolute loudest being subs and port facing the trunk lid. I have found the same is true for my Volvo S60R now too. Just one persons input here.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

So this is in a 03 corolla, 1 10, 1 4" aero port,  firing forward.

Measurements are sealed up on the dash/windshield.

Box is tuned to 37hz. I peak at 38hz thsee measurements are all at 38hz

OAXjmtS.jpg

This is sub up port to passenger

KIlne5G.jpg

This is with just a tiny bit of clipping

I dropped to a 139.2 firing back with port to siide. I currently can't point the port to the back so I could not test that.

14 hours ago, strangeduck said:

So this is in a 03 corolla, 1 10, 1 4" aero port,  firing forward.

Measurements are sealed up on the dash/windshield.

Box is tuned to 37hz. I peak at 38hz thsee measurements are all at 38hz

OAXjmtS.jpg

This is sub up port to passenger

KIlne5G.jpg

This is with just a tiny bit of clipping

I dropped to a 139.2 firing back with port to siide. I currently can't point the port to the back so I could not test that.

hmm. So it's louder when you fire it into the cabin? 

I'm tempted to get an SSA APM-2 just so I can see which positioning of my box sounds loudest in my own car ><.

I've been thinking, would I lose a lot of SPL with the empty spire tire well space under my sub box if I fire it rear ?

That SPL would flow under the box right?

this has been debated for years and it all depends on vehicle, power, box tuning and a million other things

"typically"

youre gonna be louder firing into the cabin at certain frequency

youre going to have a more balanced sound with subs firing towards the trunk

I have never liked subs firing towards the trunk I wanna feel that air flow from the port

If I were u (i did this with my mustang)  I would cut the metal behind the back seat just enough to fit the box completely

my mustang trunk opening was tiny and cutting the hole allowed me 2 slide this huge box into the trunk from the cabin fitting fi audio sp4 15"

Of course this is not smart but I like angle grinder

Hmm. I'd rather not cut any metal sheets off my car. I think one other thing I could try is install my subs inverted into the cabin ~_~

Archived