Second Skin Audio

Is there a box designer in the house, please?

ModestDb

Last time I came here with aero port questions and left with a vented box design by JoeX, which I built and Jesus that thing bangs! I'm currently still running that box and 2 AB VFL 8" subs in it. The thing is though...I want to try 4 AB VFL 8" subs now ?

I just measured it and the box JoeX designed is (33 3/4" width X 12" height X 14" depth). Using measuring tape I have determined that the max dimensions I can work with (conservatively) are (37" width X 16" height X 27" depth). As you can see, I have lots of depth remaining to work with, so we can get my extra needed airspace from there. The problem is the width, I know. I figure on staggering the subs though. I'll upload a picture of the layout I have in mind, shortly. Once that image is uploaded, can someone map me out a 32hz or 34 hz box design, with a cut sheet list like JoeX did for me? I'd greatly appreciate it and I will log the build just like last time, with daily pictures/videos. Thanks for any help guys.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

I just mocked up a 37 inch wide by 16 inches tall box face. I've verified that four 8 inch subs can fit upon that given space and still have room for a vent. I would really like to make this happen.

57 minutes ago, ModestDb said:

Last time I came here with aero port questions and left with a vented box design by JoeX, which I built and Jesus that thing bangs! I'm currently still running that box and 2 AB VFL 8" subs in it. The thing is though...I want to try 4 AB VFL 8" subs now 1f601.png

I just measured it and the box JoeX designed is (33 3/4" width X 12" height X 14" depth). Using measuring tape I have determined that the max dimensions I can work with (conservatively) are (37" width X 16" height X 27" depth). As you can see, I have lots of depth remaining to work with, so we can get my extra needed airspace from there. The problem is the width, I know. I figure on staggering the subs though. I'll upload a picture of the layout I have in mind, shortly. Once that image is uploaded, can someone map me out a 32hz or 34 hz box design, with a cut sheet list like JoeX did for me? I'd greatly appreciate it and I will log the build just like last time, with daily pictures/videos. Thanks for any help guys.

CORRECTION...15" Height is my max not 16".

21 hours ago, ALDJ253 said:

Edit: Sorry, missed part of your post.My original comment is invalid

Why, what did you say? lol.

Okay I'm going to try this myself. Someone let me know if I figure anything wrong.

My CURRENT box is 33.75 wide X 12 tall X 14 deep but what matters here is internal box volume. I built with 3/4" MDF so I subtract 1.5" from external measurements right? So my internal is 32.25 wide X 10.5 tall X 12.5 deep. I multiply those measurements L x W x H which is 4232.8125 and I divide that by 1728 arriving at 2.449 (round up to 2.45) cubic feet of internal space CURRENTLY.

I want to keep the same amount of airspace per sub when I build a box for 4 of them. So I multiply 2.45 x 2 since I'm doubling the number of these subs, which will now be 4.9 cubic feet.

Next, I know the max dimensions of my trunk allows for 37 wide x 15 tall x 27 deep. I have to subtract 1.5 from each measurement to factor for wood thickness. So 35.5 x 13.5 x ??? <---I plugged in random depth numbers since I had the most wiggle room with that dimension. I started at 14" and worked my way up until I hit 17.75". So one potential layout for my needs is 35.5 x 13.5 x 17.75 = 8506.6875 divided by 1728 brings me to 4.922 cubic feet of internal box.

However...assuming that my above estimations are correct, I have no idea how to take into account the port. Someone nudge me in the right direction and I'll do the legwork myself please. Thanks.

Okay so apparently I figured some things wrong, despite trying my best to not screw up. The following is according to RE Audio L-ported speaker box calculator.

Box width- 37

Box height- 15

Box Top/Bottom depth both- 19.25

Wood thickness- .75

square port height- 13.5

square port width- 4

square port length 1- 14.5

square port length 2- 8

total port length 29.25

square port area 54

Box volume 3.999

Tune Frequency 32hz

Here's the thing though. I question this calculator. If I plug in the measurements of my box that JoeX designed, it shows me a 1.7 cubic foot box but his calculator called it a 1.5 cubic foot box. His calls it a 34 hz box but this calculator says it's a 31hz box. There's a difference between the calculators. Anyone know what he uses for box calculations or any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Okay nevermind. I just read reviews of the RE calculator and it's not good. Moving along. I just discovered Torres.

Archived