Second Skin Audio

Two dual 4ohm or two dual 2ohm

06RTCharger

I want to run my two subs IB at 8ohm. I need to confirm my order by selecting D2 or D4 subs. I dont have an amp yet, so im just going to select an amp according to speakers later. I want to know what is the difference between two Dual 4ohm subs wired separately in series to their own channel/amp for an 8ohm load VS two Dual 2ohm subs wired together all the way up series to 8ohm on one channel. My guess is the D4 separated is more effiecent, just a guess. Is there a measurable difference even tho both way its still two subs with 8ohm load. 

I need some advice on this, i cant find much lookin around on my own. I posted this issue in SQ topics, but not too much info there yet, figure i try in the sub topics area. 

You're going to select an amp that has any power at 8 ohm? On top of that you are going to lose tons of output with IB and the IB configuration is not ideal for group delay unless you have a woofer that is made specifically for IB. Pick some subs that can be put in a box in case the IB doesn't work out. I would get the D4 and try a 4ohm load. That way when the output isn't enough, you can wire it to 1 ohm. There was a guy here that did some testing and found that his subs were louder with the coils of the sub in series as the impedance rise was lower. If you are not worried about being loud then this is of no concern. Even if you wire to 1 ohm, your impedance rise will probably have you over 8 ohms any way. Wired to 8 ohms will make your impedance rise ridiculous and no amp will be able to keep up with the front stage.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Running 8 ohm is amp specific, most all class D amps run better at lower ohm loads whereas a class AB can sound better at higher ohm loads and class A will benefit the most from more resistance. So your choices on amps to run are limited running at that higher ohm load, and to be quite honest, you won't notice a difference in quality as it is a sub stage your doing. Running your front stage @8ohms would be more ideal than a sub stage at that ohm load. If you want quality sound, then get quality equipment.

Best car audio deck imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMKwJFnehI

Either get a FI Q or IDmax if that is the route you intend to go and get the option that gets the most from them.

Personally shoot for 1 or 4 ohms as you have the option to use D or AB giving the widest selection to choose from.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

That tape deck is cool! Back in the day I would record my own tapes from cd. Bass would make the CD skip.They sounded better than any tape you could buy and everyone thought it was a CD. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

7 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

You're going to select an amp that has any power at 8 ohm? On top of that you are going to lose tons of output with IB and the IB configuration is not ideal for group delay unless you have a woofer that is made specifically for IB. Pick some subs that can be put in a box in case the IB doesn't work out. I would get the D4 and try a 4ohm load. That way when the output isn't enough, you can wire it to 1 ohm. There was a guy here that did some testing and found that his subs were louder with the coils of the sub in series as the impedance rise was lower. If you are not worried about being loud then this is of no concern. Even if you wire to 1 ohm, your impedance rise will probably have you over 8 ohms any way. Wired to 8 ohms will make your impedance rise ridiculous and no amp will be able to keep up with the front stage.

The amps i was looking at so far was just linear power, used amps. They say they make there power at 8ohm. Im still trying to work out amps tho. Im aware the IB isnt going to give me maximum spl, but i really love the idea of not having to put a box in my trunk. Right now the stock sub is a 8inch IB in the rear deck lid, it sounds decent for stock. That sub peaks around 34hz, using my audio control iphone RTA mic. So not sure how acurate that is. I was messing around with that rta thing the other day, pretty cool, shows me how horrible my stock highs are lol there all blown. 

5 hours ago, Skullz said:

Running 8 ohm is amp specific, most all class D amps run better at lower ohm loads whereas a class AB can sound better at higher ohm loads and class A will benefit the most from more resistance. So your choices on amps to run are limited running at that higher ohm load, and to be quite honest, you won't notice a difference in quality as it is a sub stage your doing. Running your front stage @8ohms would be more ideal than a sub stage at that ohm load. If you want quality sound, then get quality equipment.

Best car audio deck imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMKwJFnehI

Either get a FI Q or IDmax if that is the route you intend to go and get the option that gets the most from them.

Personally shoot for 1 or 4 ohms as you have the option to use D or AB giving the widest selection to choose from.

Yah im searching for A/B amps. Loving the 4.1HVS from LP but its hard to find, but the out put matches exactly what i need. As close to 1600 rms, 3k peak. Thats both my subs ratings together, and thats what the 4.1HVS is rated at. I already have a deck. Ended up getting the DEX-P99RS

You're gonna regret going ib, you'll have a million rattles to deal with that you could avoid if you fired the subs forward in a normal enclosure and seal it off from the trunk.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You really don't need an 8 ohm amp for 8 ohm setup, you could run 2 or 4 ohm amp, how many watts are the sub in question?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWd1ShRnPbDG9ppgJKpumdA <---- show some love to my channel

Alpine MRH-F255 (old school), sub channel not used

Skar audio VX35-ST tweets in front  (invest in them they are worth it)

kicker zr120- nice underrated amp

Powerbass s1204 subwoofer in a 1.75 custom slot ported enclosure tuned to 30hz

Front doors Prv 6mb200s 8ohm

Alpine type-e 5.25 in dash took a shave and a hair cut.....- not in use

Rear doors alpine 6.5's model/series unknown but they are loud as hell

Factory alt

3.5 farad cap, does the job for now.

Deck is a pioneer mixtrax 700bt model

And my baby my Pioneer EQ-6500 i got for 10.00

Back-up amps- Ma Audio 598i, kicker zr120, my highly under rated JBL LC-A502 1xx watt amp...

On the side- Quantum tweets not yet installed

Archived