Sonic Electronix

Problem with Sonic Electronix order.

Basically I ordered 2 subs and they were the cheapest price. I received only one. It was I a large plain box stuffed with styrofoam peanuts and didn't notice a receipt but honestly don't recall. Since I only got 1 tracking number, I emailed Sonic and they emailed warehouse. They reported that "other pair of speakers" was "lost in transit" and would "file a claim with UPS". So I'm thinking that ok they shipped them separately and 1 got lost. They probably won't find it and end up reimbursing me. I decided to order the sub from another site and worst case if they find it I end up with 3 subs so no big deal, I'll use it. :) I ordered from Carkart.com (second cheapest) and a week later my status is still "pending" but that's another issue altogether but I'm sure they probably sent it and didn't update or notify is all. *cough.

UPS emails me today with a damage claim and that they will schedule a time to inspect my damaged package...which isn't damaged. Now one peculiar thing I noticed was the shipping label said 31 lbs. I looked on Amazon's site just to see if it mentioned weight. It says the sub is 15.9 lbs so not sure if that's complete with packing materials or just the retail box itself. Of course 2 of these would be 31.8 lbs more inline with what my shipping label says.

So now do you guys think someone opened my package and stole one of the subs and repacked it? If so how the heck do I prove that only 1 item was in that box? I already threw the packing box and styrofoam away. So there's no point in UPS inspecting anything since I can't prove crap. Technically the packing box is probably large enough to hold another subwoofer and plus it says 31 lbs and I only have half of that though I never weighed anything. Depending how the next couple of emails go, I may not ever order from Sonics again.

Edited by omnibus

Contact Sonic Electronix again and see what is going on exactly. Just say a sub was not received and leave it at that, DO NOT ever give an example of what might have happened with the shipping company cause they may mistake that for something else. All you ever have to say is "you only received one sub and never got the second sub" and let them investigate the problem and come up with a solution that makes you happy. Sonic has always been a great company to deal with if something ever happens, they have always taken care of me when something wasn't right, so give them a bit of time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Yeah I'm on my 3rd or 4th email with Sonic, none of the responses are too specific as they are communicating to warehouse before reporting to me. Paid with CC but I feel I should probably wait a bit longer before going to them, I believe my limit is 30 days for asking my money back but not sure how Sonic will react. I don't want this to go all legal overboard since I can't prove anything and I do find the weight listed on the label as curious.

On the bright side however, I got my order from Carkart so they are all good. The weight on it says 17 lbs and I know with Sonic's package that the peanuts and box didn't weigh no 13 lbs. I'll just wait it out another week and see what happens...just kind of annoying and first time I've had an order issue in some 15 years since the old Ebay days.

Just wanted to vent and get a little insight

Edited by omnibus

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I've bought from them many times w/o issues. Even returned an item because it didn't fit. Again, w/o issues.

I'm reading more and more people having problems with them. I wonder what got changed, what's going on.

Keeping communication with them is the most important key in your situation. I know how frustrating it can be when things get mixed/intertwined in the mix.

30 minutes ago, boomintahoe said:

Wow. I've bought from them many times w/o issues. Even returned an item because it didn't fit. Again, w/o issues.

I'm reading more and more people having problems with them. I wonder what got changed, what's going on.

Keeping communication with them is the most important key in your situation. I know how frustrating it can be when things get mixed/intertwined in the mix.

I remember while back when my PPI amp that I bought from them stop working (internal fuses didn't blow) and they let me RMA it back to them and get store credit. Their customer service use to be really good. For example, they use to give me like $5 store credit whenever I order something that wasn't in stock when it was suppose to be. Now a days, I don't get store credit and pretty much have to wait for the back order or cancel. I have a couple of fuse holders that I need in order to finish my builds but it's on backorder.

SonicElectronix must have new management because customer service has been shit.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Most likely they put 2 subs in the original packaging inside 1 larger box that they back filled with packing peanuts in an attempt to keep shipping costs lower compared to shipping out 2 separate boxes.
The people in the shipping departments package things so half assed now days from almost every company it seems.

So what ultimately happened is the shipping box with 2 large heavy packages inside of it got damaged in shipping due to the box being able to flex around because the packing peanuts do not keep the larger shipping box rigid and the box usually tears in half or ends up with a giant gaping hole.
When you are shipping heavy or bulky objects packing peanuts and bubble wrap is not the answer, period!
I ship 40lb-150+lb speaker boxes all over the USA, I never use packing peanuts or bubble wrap and never had a box damaged in shipping (even when shipping boxes to California which is typically 5 days in transit with multiple hubs).

Companies need to train their employees on how to package items, and adjust their shipping methods accordingly.

If your going to offer free shipping on orders over $XX.XX and everything is being crammed into that one box to save them money instead of shipping out 2 packages than something needs to be adjusted.

Its no different with online retailers putting 80lb batteries into a larger box filled with packing peanuts to ship them out all the while the OEM packaging the battery is already is in meets and exceeds the shipping requirements. However it still gets done to be shipped cheaper because it is a battery and then they can illegally sneak it on without paying additional shipping charges...

Its not always the retailers fault because even when packaged right things end up missing.

I had paid Meade for Four 24inch tires and he shipped them as 2 sets of 2 tires banded and stretched wrapped together. When they arrived I only got 2 tires with 2 different tracking numbers and each banded stretched wrap shipment was missing 1 tire each.
After Steve called fedex countless times the other 2 missing tires were found and arrived a couple days later.

You need to call UPS constantly and bug them, and have the retailer bug them.

Chances are your speaker is sitting in one of the hubs either in the lost and found, or under a convener belt like my tires.

never had issues in the past 10yrs with them until last year...received multiple wrong items, missing items, site being wrong about what harness goes with what, etc...ive spent north of $10k with them and they always go in and see that when i bitch...still causes headaches and makes me want to go somewhere else because my last 4-5 orders have all had something wrong, be it not in stock, arriving later than expected (causing me to cancel installation appointments), not shipping out for several days...they have gone downhill noticeably in the past year

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns