Second Skin Audio

Building an enclosure for 2 HDS312's

focused313

I have a Cadillac CTS Wagon (non V) and I have two SQ HDS312 subs that I used to have in my Magnum. The hatch area isn't as big and I don't want to use all of it with an enclosure.

My hatch space is 36x24x12.5 (I'm willing to go taller with the box).

Do you guys think these parameters will work?

sub001.jpg

sub002.jpg

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

I would find a different box calculator. i come up with a box 3.98 cu.ft (without any displacement), off the dimensions of the box you modeled, tuned to 35.6. Soundqubed like bigger boxed i would shoot for 4.5 cu.ft. tuned to 35 or so.

This probably won't be the answer you're looking for. If you want suggested internal air volumes for your speakers, look at this post. AMI CUSTOMS knows SoundQubed.

Furthermore, the box size you want depends on the F(s) of the driver after it's broken in (since many measurements of it will change throughout this time). To break your drivers in, play a sine wave at the stock F(s) of the drivers (which is 33 hz according to SQ) and make sure they're reaching 1/2 excursion which I think is 14mm. Keep in mind, this should be free air, and over a few hours. Make sure the hole in the bottoms of the woofers aren't covered up while you do this.

While tuning a box to F(s) used to be common practice, apparently it was found that this isn't necessary, nor is it optimal in every situation. You could plot the speaker's specs on WinISD or equivalent and find what suits your conditions best.

Good luck!

- 2009 Toyota Matrix Base -

- iPad 64GB -

- miniDSP 2x4 HD -

- PPI Art a200.2 -

- SoundQubed SQ-2200.2 x 2 -

4 minutes ago, Charles Phillips said:

This probably won't be the answer you're looking for. If you want suggested internal air volumes for your speakers, look at this post. AMI CUSTOMS knows SoundQubed.

Furthermore, the box size you want depends on the F(s) of the driver after it's broken in (since many measurements of it will change throughout this time). To break your drivers in, play a sine wave at the stock F(s) of the drivers (which is 33 hz according to SQ) and make sure they're reaching 1/2 excursion which I think is 14mm. Keep in mind, this should be free air, and over a few hours. Make sure the hole in the bottoms of the woofers aren't covered up while you do this.

While tuning a box to F(s) used to be common practice, apparently it was found that this isn't necessary, nor is it optimal in every situation. You could plot the speaker's specs on WinISD or equivalent and find what suits your conditions best.

Good luck!

Say what now???

5 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

I would find a different box calculator. i come up with a box 3.98 cu.ft (without any displacement), off the dimensions of the box you modeled, tuned to 35.6. Soundqubed like bigger boxed i would shoot for 4.5 cu.ft. tuned to 35 or so.

thanks. I thought RE's was pretty good. I'll check to see if I can find another one.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

my fault...Joe X has already covered this stuff 100x. I used the damn search feature and all was answered. Thanks Joe.

---------------------------------------------

So here is a suggestion, power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 5 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

2hds.jpg

2hdspic_zps7e8334a3.jpg

------

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

Archived