New platform, new build!!!

So me and my brother have been closely watching the new AMD Ryzen chips. well we pulled the trigger and are starting the build for it. chips and MB on order but it looks like it will be very promising. hopefully we arent let down but either way it will be a boost to our current system. ill post here as we go since we have some parts already. old computer will be sold for im hoping around $750 to help fund this. along with an alienware m14x laptop.

CURRENT SYSTEM

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core

PSU: Corsair AX860i (Swapping for a EVGA 500w)

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX-480 8gb VRAM (Swapping to a XFX RX-460 2gb VRAM)

MB: ASRock 970 extreme3 r2.0

RAM: Corsair Vengence LP 16GB 1866 DDR3

Cooling: Corsair H80i GT

Case: Xigmatek Asgard

HDD: Seagate 500gb 7200rpm

SSD1: Adata sx900 64gb

SSD2: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

Optical: LG DVD R read/burn

Fans: mix of corsair and xigmatek 120mm 3 in 2 out and a pci slot blower pulling out

NEW BUILD!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X 8 Core

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX-480 8gb VRAM

PSU: Corsair AX860i

MB: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac (yes built in wifi router it seems)

RAM: Corsair Vengence LED DDR4 3000 16GB

Cooling: Corsair H115i

Case: NZXT S340 Red/Black

SSD1: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe as boot and storage

SSD2: Samsung 850 EVO as storage

Fans: 2 140mm fans on front as intake thru rad, Corsair 120mm and 140mm Air Quiet Series as exhaust, Red LED 

Other: Red LED strip for case lighting, Vibraflex on the case already to kill some rattles and stiffen a few places.

lemme know any tips u guys might have or if anyone else is planning on a ryzen build

-Cody C.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

There is not going to be a whole lot of insight on the new Ryzen stuff yet because well... It's not out yet. AMD has this release tightly controlled, the only benchmarking and testing that has been shown was at their events. They had some big youtube reviewers go to the event and run the benchmarks, but again, it was at their event with their rigs. Right now we are still waiting for a 3rd party reviewer to really break down the performance. Not saying this is happening, but controlled releases like this often lead to manipulation of equipment to make the competition look like the lower performer. I'm hopeful, but still skeptical until I see one of the major review sites really put it to the test and publish their findings... In processor performance, I've seen too many number claims in the past that were a very different reality once the product was released and in consumers hands. We will see in the near future.

well after a slight shipping mishap. it seems the cpu, nvme m.2 ssd and the mb will all be here tomorrow at the end of the day. mb was a week easrly on relase tso thas awesome!. this thing should perform better than what i have now so im really looking forward to it. 

@audiofanaticz gonna upgrade the turd that was the better version of my 8350? haha. not that ur rig is bad at all but just an idea for something new. ;)

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

3rd party reviews are coming out... I feel bad for AMD users right now. They hyped this stuff up and did exactly what I suspected, that controlled event had certain chipset features turned off on the Intel machines to "level" the playing field. The Ryzen chips overclock like crap and your lucky to break 4GHz on the lower end ones. The memory controller is weak with a max of DDR4 2600MHz. Their prices are too high, it's a lot cheaper to run Intel. even if you went with their X99 platform.

Looks like the i7 7700K is the top processor right now when it comes down to gaming, it's stock frequency is 4.2GHz with a boost up to 4.5GHz and easily overclocked to 5GHz with automated software. It absolutely crushes every game out right now and you don't have to deal with the complexities of overclocking. If you want the stuff AMD is marketing, with their multi-threaded processing performance, then you would want to take the X99/i7 5820K or i7 6800K route, since those processors are known to hit 4.6GHz+ on air.

I def wouldn't be too unhappy if I went the AMD route. If the architecture is an advancement from previous gen then that's all that would matter to me. Now if they are Intel prices and not performing as well as Intel then I'd have an issue 

On 3/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, RainStryke said:

3rd party reviews are coming out... I feel bad for AMD users right now. They hyped this stuff up and did exactly what I suspected, that controlled event had certain chipset features turned off on the Intel machines to "level" the playing field. The Ryzen chips overclock like crap and your lucky to break 4GHz on the lower end ones. The memory controller is weak with a max of DDR4 2600MHz. Their prices are too high, it's a lot cheaper to run Intel. even if you went with their X99 platform.

Looks like the i7 7700K is the top processor right now when it comes down to gaming, it's stock frequency is 4.2GHz with a boost up to 4.5GHz and easily overclocked to 5GHz with automated software. It absolutely crushes every game out right now and you don't have to deal with the complexities of overclocking. If you want the stuff AMD is marketing, with their multi-threaded processing performance, then you would want to take the X99/i7 5820K or i7 6800K route, since those processors are known to hit 4.6GHz+ on air.

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

so far im still liking waht i see. its not quite what it was hyped up to be and OCing isnt what most were expecting but thats fine by me. the lesser cores may be better for that. while this is a gaming build it may or may not also end up as my rendering station with a progpu add in later on down the road. so the cores are worth it to me in this case. plus its a new socket and wont change every few months which is one gripe i have about intel. there is a new chip and damn near new socket every year with next to no improvements. its just a marketing scheme. not that this wasnt but its definitely an upgrade to me and im an amd fan anyways. if i had the money sure id go intel and nvidia but i dont so this works well for me. corsair did drop the ball on this though. the am4 bracket for their coolers is still a week or more out. kinda pisses me off that these chips were not offered with a cooler seeing as it was a new platform. but its ok. gives me time to work out kinks with the current system before we sell it off.

speaking of. i did a price sheet and what is in it i ended up with a rough value of $855

do you think i am insane if i asked $825 or 800 and would let them talk me down to like 700? still a good rig but just a touch outdated. alot of new internals though and still performs well.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment: