Second Skin Audio

Feedback on dual 18" box design. Port Ratio? Length from wall?

RedFred

So I've currently got 2 AQ HDC318s on two SQ2200s strapped @ 2 ohms, in a 12.2 cube net box @ 37hz, with 195 square inches of port (26" x 7.5"), about 4.5" from the end of the port to the bottom of the box.

tIHGAQvl.jpg

rcbFONJl.jpg

I'm going to be switching to SQ HDC318s, and strapping the amps @ 1 ohm instead (0.5 ohm per amp). 

As per recommendations from Andrew McCullough, I'll be aiming for my new box to be around 10.5 - 11 cubes net, with about 175 square inches of port, and tuned around 35hz.

The external dimensions will all be the same, except for it will be 1.5" less tall.

This is the design I've come up with:

KW4I5qjl.png

moQDWxwl.png

This port will be 35" x 5", which is a 7:1 ratio. From what I've read, as long as you stay under 8:1 or 9:1 you're good. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

My reasoning for going so wide was so that the port can be right up against the side walls and I can get a little more structure from glueing/nailing the port into sides of the box.

As for the L shaped port, it's so I can get more room between the end of the port and the wall of the box (18" in this box vs 4.5" in the last box).

Also, would you suggest any more bracing in the box? If so, where and what method?

Any and all suggestions/critiques greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

7 hours ago, Joe X said:

Reducing your port area / increasing port area ratio won't help to improve your output.

What do you suggest instead?

I could do like a 2:1 ratio port, but I'll lose the support from having the port mounted to the walls.

And it's not solely reducing port area. The subs, the power, and the size of the enclosure are all different.

Archived